knee’s planted tanks

knee

On 9/15/2024 at 2:10 PM, Retrophyllum_minus said:

Your photos are amazing. 

Thank you so much! I do enjoy taking photos of the fish. I just wish I was better at editing. 

Stopped by my LFS to check for live black worms. All my local stores told me that it’s been extremely difficult getting them in. Saw that they had ludwigia white so I grabbed a bundle. IMG_2268.jpeg.733a5ab3400f2f7dd172827f6e37fe1b.jpeg

I cut each stem into two pieces and planted them at the back of the tank.IMG_2283.jpeg.78d28b2dedcd507ae1f3dcafa1105cf7.jpeg

Still waiting for the hygrophila sunset form Etsy to complete my background plants. Hopefully it gets delivered this week so all the stem plants can grow at somewhat the same time. 

I trimmed my emmersed hygrophila about three weeks ago and a little piece of stem fell in the water. It has leaves and roots now. Plants are really amazing.IMG_2282.jpeg.88aa4ff2d0d5363c94b8ecad6ba2c4e3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/15/2024 at 12:01 AM, knee said:

IMG_2260.jpeg.3e4da7f6483d37f3b59ff548e04403dd.jpeg
tried to edit this photo as close as I can to the one posted before but the lights were already at 50% power when I took this photo. My editing skills are not that good 🥲

Definitely going to need a timelapse or something when you trim that moss.  Looks like a project, but a beautiful one.  great tank.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/17/2024 at 3:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely going to need a timelapse or something when you trim that moss.  Looks like a project, but a beautiful one.  great tank.

That's a really good idea actually. I'll let it grow a bit more then I'll do a timelapse when I trim the moss and other plants.

On 9/16/2024 at 2:10 AM, Retrophyllum_minus said:

Oh awesome, I am a huge plant nerd. Just as excited about growing and experimenting with plants as I am with the fish I think! 

I'm the same way now. I used to only be concerned about fish and treated plants like an accessory for the fish.

I just ordered some fish for the 60B. I'm going to be replacing the praecox rainbows, pearl gourami and rummynose tetras. The plan is for the bolivian rams to stand out from far away since they're the only fish that will be noticeable due to size, and as you get closer to the tank, you'll see all the other tiny fish swimming around. The pearl gouramis, praecox rainbows and rummynose tetras ruin this illusion so they gotta go 🏃‍♂️

I replaced the pearl gourami with dwarf honey gourami, the praecox rainbows will be replaced with threadfins, the rummynose tetras will be replaced with danio tinwini and I'm also adding some pencil fish since I'm going smaller. Pencilfish also swim differently compared to danio tinwini so it's a  good contrast when watching them. Also bought some additional chili rasboras and emerald dwarf rasboras for the 40B. They are all arriving before the weekend so I'm super excited!

I might try the DIY trap method to catch them but if that takes too long I'll switch to double nets. I do feel that it's less stressful for the fish if I do the trap method. 

I also ordered this beaker set on amazon for dispensing fertilizers and medication (ich-x mainly). This will make dispensing more accurate and I don't have to dig in the bottle with a syringe. Has anyone else used something similar to this?

image.png.abeaee0627d5482ef7eb882db088a6d8.png

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 7:11 PM, knee said:

I'm the same way now. I used to only be concerned about fish and treated plants like an accessory for the fish.

Yeah, I'm a long time plant nerd since preschool. And I'm forty now. So, plants have always been my thing. Even went and got a forestry degree. But now I'm getting into aquarium plants so that's a whole new world (mostly). It's very fun. Although I think I may need to set up a tank just to grow out plants as needed from dividing. 

And of course the fish are exciting too!