knee’s planted tanks

knee

I’ve decided to consolidate both of my journals into one thread to make it easier on updating. I’ll also be adding more tanks eventually 🙌🏻

Not much has changed on the 40 breeder tank. None of the fry survived because the dad is a playa 😓

I did take some new photos and a video 

image.jpeg.4660b06aa9c4c13f65f55f8a04b01662.jpeg
image.jpeg.adc828292ae93a01e99b62ffb351ab1e.jpeg

20 long

image.jpeg.b0294362358c48dac3e85545bcb1e81a.jpegimage.jpeg.f1693ca782024d686836728a27ebff7c.jpeg

Please ignore the background on the 40B video. I forgot to takeout the audio when editing.

Will be adding a shrimp tank soon so I can save my nerite snails 🦐🐚

The videos might play in lower quality please choose 1080p60 for better quality video 😁

If you're interested to see how these tanks started checkout the journals in my sig ⬇️

Edited by knee
  • Like 2
  • Love 8

As always, I'd love to have a tank that looks half that good and I'm excited for your future plans.

I see the pandas surfing up front doing their panda things. You probably already got eggs or will pretty soon. Crazy they just so activity that much right now. Not sure what was up that triggered them for so long. Almost daily for 4 weeks now.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Beautiful tanks @knee 😍 

Def agreed. +1.  Amazing tanks dude!

On 3/10/2023 at 1:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do you use iron to keep the plants red?

Idk if he has aquasoil there, but I think aquasoil and a good light plays a really important role for the red color. If the plant is hard, then co2 becomes a bit more important I feel. I'm shocked how my plants kept being red just with aquasoil, I was not expecting that even tho it promotes to increase red colors on plants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I see the pandas surfing up front doing their panda things. You probably already got eggs or will pretty soon.

Thank you for the pandas man. I finally have some activity on the bottom part of my tank. They were doing a lot of chasing yesterday specially at the back because they’re stirring up some debris 😂

image.jpeg.496b9e4a7961131d91b3e825116b8ce4.jpeg

On 3/10/2023 at 2:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do you use iron to keep the plants red?

I just use aquasoil, good lighting and some easy green. Iron isn’t the key factor thag turn plants red but it does help enable formation of chlorophyll and other pigments. I’d only add iron if I actually see any iron deficiencies (pale light green or yellow growth in new leaves) but most liquid ferts, root tabs and aquasoil have enough iron in them. Co2 also plays part in plants red coloration. If I injected co2 to the red tank, the reds will be richer and will look 100x better.

@Lennie is correct, lighting is a really big factor in plants being red. Increasing the red and blue in lighting can stimulate pigmentation in red or colored plants and will compliment the red color of the plant. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:59 AM, knee said:

Thank you for the pandas man. I finally have some activity on the bottom part of my tank. They were doing a lot of chasing yesterday specially at the back because they’re stirring up some debris 😂

image.jpeg.496b9e4a7961131d91b3e825116b8ce4.jpeg

@Cinnebunsmmuch better camera. Look at that dorsal!!! 😍

On 3/10/2023 at 9:59 AM, knee said:

Thank you for the pandas man. I finally have some activity on the bottom part of my tank.

They will do well, I'm excited for them and for you. 🙂

All you can do is ask for them to have a good home. They do.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update but was able to trim both tanks today. Also changed my light settings to increase brightness and changed the colors a bit since plants are growing more. 

Trimmed the ludwigia peruensis, pogo Stellatus, lobelia cardinalis and hygrophila on the 40B to let in more light. The ludwigia and pogo were blocking so much light
image.jpeg.2574d60770ac8aad2e3a73b1cb507beb.jpeg

Trimmed the rotala wallichii on the 20L and transferred the ludwigia from the 40B to this one. The left back side was looking kinda empty before. 
image.jpeg.3e9b460c37d6c4fa72cc531c84f6f26a.jpeg

Female balloon GBR and male Pseudomugil Luminatus

image.jpeg.5e671296d66b1218e3f744dad5b305ef.jpegimage.jpeg.63217faedb2bd4be176725a477132a92.jpegimage.jpeg.fcd77a5ea20e255a25f5088fc19ecde2.jpeg

Edited by knee
  • Love 3

• 9 months later...

How’s everyone doing? 

So I’ve been gone for awhile. Some family issues back in the Philippines happened and I had to go back home to take care of them.

Tanks were neglected and the most I could have my roommate do is feed the fish three times a week and change the water every other week. Lost a bunch of fish and plants but some are still alive and thriving. 

Current state of the tanks as of today:

Lost most of the fish in this tank and the hydrophila took over, blocking most of the light for the other plants but the anubias and Java fern were thriving. The only survivors were a pair of fork tail rainbows, the OG female peacock gudgeon, ember tetras, Pygmy and habrosus cory, the male swordtail  that was hiding very well when I sold all of the swords, 4 Bolivian rams. 
image.jpeg.b0c8d8b115a8c59283d211c9db203cf4.jpeg

Lost most of the fish in this tank too. Survivors were panda cory, some emerald eye rasboras, two pencil fish, espei rasbora, and sparkling gouramis. 
image.jpeg.b6c9f853acdfc5724f72f0c4ed63c52c.jpeg

Only the corydoras from both tanks were able to hold on and keep their numbers. I’ve returned to their old water change and feeding schedule for a few weeks now and the fish are looking better already. I also bought some new additions to the tank because it really felt empty.

Will be rescaping both tanks soon and I’ll be posting the progress. I’m slowly gathering all the things I need. Just need a few more rocks and driftwood and I’ll be ready to rescape. 

Happy New Year everyone!

@nabokovfan87 the panda with the white dot in their eye is still alive and got a bit bigger 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, knee said:

@nabokovfan87 the panda with the white dot in their eye is still alive and got a bit bigger 😂

Does it still have the white eye?

So I’ve been gone for awhile. Some family issues back in the Philippines happened and I had to go back home to take care of them.

Very sorry, hopefully everything nis going ok. Welcome back! 

Will be rescaping both tanks soon and I’ll be posting the progress. I’m slowly gathering all the things I need. Just need a few more rocks and driftwood and I’ll be ready to rescape. 

We get the amazing little advantage of being able to see how to recover a tank now! 😁

Lost most of the fish in this tank and the hydrophila took over, blocking most of the light for the other plants but the anubias and Java fern were thriving. The only survivors were a pair of fork tail rainbows, the OG female peacock gudgeon, ember tetras, Pygmy and habrosus cory, the male swordtail  that was hiding very well when I sold all of the swords, 4 Bolivian rams.

Lost most of the fish in this tank too. Survivors were panda cory, some emerald eye rasboras, two pencil fish, espei rasbora, and sparkling gouramis. 

That's so tough to have that happen. I'm very sorry for all of your losses.

On 12/30/2023 at 1:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Does it still have the white eye?

Yep. Never went away but I figured it doesn’t really affect him/her. I just did a water change and I counted 13 pandas 🐼

On 12/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, Lennie said:

I'm glad to see you are back. Hope everything is much better there now. Happy too see you again

Happy to be back! Thank you @Lennie!

Did a water change today and this is what I saw after I filled the tank 😂

IMG_9890.jpeg.5aee517b40313b34b120bee9f9a2519e.jpeg

Haven’t rescaped yet because I’m still collecting hard scape. Rocks and driftwood are so expensive here in socal 😞

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, knee said:

Yep. Never went away but I figured it doesn’t really affect him/her. I just did a water change and I counted 13 pandas 🐼

You'll have to show me whenever time allows. I have one that has cataracts, but had a ghostly white eye that was treated. (Black corydoras)

20231128_134115.JPG.c2428e4d0a51a8a00fb5a1d85f3dedb1.JPG

I spot feed her and she's removed from the group. I am unsure what caused it, why it happened, but maybe it was from movement during shipping. 😔

No idea how many I sent originally, but good to hear they are alive and kicking. I tried this new food from aqueon, nutrinsect, which doesn't have fishmeal or fish oil. There's some reasons for that, but it seems like a really good (and cheap) corydoras food. Ingredients aren't bad either. Just a heads up.  I can mail you a little bit of you want to try how they do with it.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added photo
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 9:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You'll have to show me whenever time allows. I have one that has cataracts, but had a ghostly white eye that was treated.

I’ll try to get a pic during feeding time. That’s the only time I see them in front of the tank 😂

Some random shots of dad guarding the eggs:

IMG_9951.jpeg.ccb15fd9acfeb3d6c0c72ce3e2bc1bcc.jpegIMG_9950.jpeg.6b12df466eaad5e941d61eae7870ab6e.jpegIMG_9952.jpeg.ec7eec0eccf8f053d62eb9a216fb9043.jpeg

I’ll probably start rescaping in a few weeks. Just need to order some plants cause I only have some epiphytes and hygrophila left 😂

Bought some community fish from Aqua Huna and I’m assuming I’ll get them next week (I didn’t forget the discount code this time 😅)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 12/31/2023 at 8:44 PM, knee said:

Some random shots of dad guarding the eggs

Sorry to hear about your tanks while you were gone.  They were unbelievably beautiful.  Such a tragedy .... but I'm SO glad you now have things to look forward to.  And your attitude seems great after such a loss.  If anyone can bring those tanks back, it's YOU. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:47 AM, Flipper said:

Sorry to hear about your tanks while you were gone.  They were unbelievably beautiful.  Such a tragedy .... but I'm SO glad you now have things to look forward to.  And your attitude seems great after such a loss.  If anyone can bring those tanks back, it's YOU. 

Life gets in the way sometimes. I'm just glad that my roommate was still willing to help despite the fact that he doesn't need to. 

Thank you for the kind words, it really helps 🙂

• Like 2

Just picked up a new tank and some fish from @SugarBassJoe if you’re around or near the San Diego area he still has some items/livestock that he’s trying to give away. 
IMG_0045.jpeg.1f40ca51963dca156ad419b5cc66fe56.jpegIMG_0044.jpeg.99cfc647749c272a9eca7316fe371964.jpegIMG_0043.jpeg.4b0a237edf36738b0fed2324c537e6be.jpeg

Got a 60 breeder, filter and light that I’ll setup really soon when I’m able to get a stand. I’m thinking of using the husky shelving units from Home Depot so I can also keep the 40B running. No photos at the moment because they were all hiding but doing well so far. I’ll update with some fish pics later when I get home from work. 

Thanks again Joey! Glad I’m able to help you out 😁

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/5/2024 at 11:45 AM, msudawgs56 said:

What plant is that growing out of the tank? I've enjoyed reading through your posts. Hate to see the loss when you were gone. Hope everything with the family is good now.

Hygrophila Corymbosa if I remember correctly. 

Thank you! Everything is good 🙂

Will be posting more since I'll be setting up a new tank. Just need to get a stand, more rocks, driftwood and aquasoil.

• Like 1

Was able to get a few photos of the dark celestial rams. They’re so beautiful 😍

Hopefully I can spawn them. They’re settling nicely and are already eating. My super small balloon female ram has been bullying them tho. She felt threatened cause the new girls are just so beautiful 😂😂

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1