Ich on plants?

Louise02

On 3/9/2023 at 7:22 AM, Louise02 said:

Ich broke out in one of my planted aquariums.  I moved the fish to the hospital tank.  Is there any way to clean and keep the plants and snails that remain in the tank?  Do I have to run Ich-X in that aquarium for a while?  

What I would do is increase the temperature that will speed up the life cycle of ich and add one dose of ick X and let it marinate while you  fish are out of the tank as the ich can attach to snails shells @Louise02

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 3:58 AM, Colu said:

What I would do is increase the temperature that will speed up the life cycle of ich and add one dose of ick X and let it marinate while you  fish are out of the tank as the ich can attach to snails shells @Louise02

That makes sense, but it's not great news.  We received five new nerite snails in the same bag as the mollies and guppies that got ich.  One of those snails went in with my betta and four of them are in with a gourami and old molly.  I've made a real mess.

Would you treat everything for ich, or wait and see what happens?

On 3/9/2023 at 7:49 PM, Louise02 said:

That makes sense, but it's not great news.  We received five new nerite snails in the same bag as the mollies and guppies that got ich.  One of those snails went in with my betta and four of them are in with a gourami and old molly.  I've made a real mess.

Would you treat everything for ich, or wait and see what happens?

it doesn't necessarily mean you will have an out break in your other tanks ich usually effects fish that are stressed leading to weaken immune system if your other fish are healthy and have good water quality no ammonia nitrite I would just monitor for now if you see any signs the. I would start treating with ick X straight away or you could just add one dose of ick X and let it marinate for a week just as a preventive treatment 

• Like 1

There are a lot of different ways to deal with something like this. Everyone has slightly different tank environments, so approach it differently.  I personally don't hesitate to add Ich-X.  And whenever I  add new fish, out of an abundance of caution,  I add the med trio.  I'm just throwing this out there, that I don't hesitate to medicate. :classic_biggrin:

Good Luck. :classic_smile:

• Like 1