Mates or males??

ashaquabarn

These two had been following each other around my 180 and one of them cleaning off a rock daily. It seemed like mating behavior to me so I moved them into a 20 gallon with two other Bolivian rams to see if they would lay, but nothing has come of it yet. Do they look to both be males or are they mates? 

76DF6F0D-1F3D-4158-B72D-5FDCF18C5046.jpeg

B7F3D245-34F3-4DF7-BEF1-D95904D2DAD2.jpeg

899BBA90-F9B6-4F9E-9EA9-90AF3E5582A5.jpeg

96EB22C0-30FD-4B52-B222-C2D5231423EF.jpeg

On 3/8/2023 at 9:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Have you seen Dean's guide on how to breed rams?  They need a flat rock or something to spawn on. 

cc @knee

I haven’t but I put a flat black rock in there with fake plants and a cave to give them a corner of the tank to guard

On 3/8/2023 at 10:07 PM, knee said:

My rams would only spawn on one spot in the tank and it's ALWAYS on the smoothest rock and they prefer it as close to the substrate as possible.

What temp do you keep them in?

Okay I’ll try a more flat one. They’re kept at about 78 right now. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:21 PM, aquabarn said:

Okay! ill change out the rock and raise the temp and see if that sparks anything! Thanks!! 

Goodluck! Just don’t raise the temp too quickly to avoid shocking them or the other fish. Keep us updated 😁

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 7:04 PM, aquabarn said:

I haven’t but I put a flat black rock in there with fake plants and a cave to give them a corner of the tank to guard

Very good guide.  They usually feel safe to have cover behind them to be able to spawn.  Your tank has the rocks, but not any "cover" so to speak for them in that area. 

Hopefully that helps and you see some behavior.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very good guide.  They usually feel safe to have cover behind them to be able to spawn.  Your tank has the rocks, but not any "cover" so to speak for them in that area. 

Hopefully that helps and you see some behavior.

The photos you see are of them in the 180. The setup I have is different in the 20 gallon now where they have a corner of the tank they should feel more comfortable in. I’ll try some adjustments though and see if that works! Thank you for the help and the video! 

• Like 1