Dwarf Lily Growth!

I ordered a Dwarf Lily Bulb from Aquarium Co-Op last week and their crack team had it to me by Friday. I planted it that night. Take a look at this growth already! Day 4  image.jpeg.3f0b884a61c9f18e6f404a38622d9de9.jpeg

Day 6 (today)image.jpeg.dd31f701fe999d5cc2b5bb3d3457fa2a.jpeg

I'm looking forward to watching its progress. 

Edited by CJhilljack
accidentally posted one of the images twice
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@CJhilljack

fun!

mine was a particularly fast grower at the beggining, then has slowed down now after a month or 2. (mine happens to be flowering in 2 different ways, but thats off topic).

this is definetly a good plant just to fill in a tank.

i mean give me 3 of these as the only plants in tank, i would not be sad. It would almost be like a cave structure, just in their leaves.

great, now im going to daydream about a tank like that.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:10 PM, Theplatymaster said:

give me 3 of these as the only plants in tank, i would not be sad. It would almost be like a cave structure, just in their leaves.

I LOVE this idea! I'll daydream with you. 

My main goal is to have ricefish & I'm hoping they'll like the lily pads these are supposed to send up. Now I want more of them! 😉

On 3/8/2023 at 7:53 PM, CJhilljack said:

Sounds like justification for another tank to me. 😄

2 words.

Tank Limit

the space in front of the words may or may not be intentional.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Haha 1

I initially bought 1 a few months ago, ended up being a dud, replaced it with a new one that already had the plant pushing through and it's thrived since!  It slowly started growing base leaves and just kinda sat there for a little bit, probably adjusting or something.  Been giving steady doses of Easy Green and started planting root tabs last week.  Since then, it shot up a lily that's now hit the surface of my tank with another one coming up behind it.  It's a trip watching this bloom and come into its own!

20230111_172746.jpg.85a02a7e8d38bfe149badde712407c63.jpg

The bulb back when I got it a few months ago...

20230309_164711.jpg.23772d150de22e0f7e53d8719cf59b2c.jpg20230309_164728.jpg.eb71a503803a25bee26f44ec0fbd2b29.jpg

...compared to now!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got two of these from the Co-Op a couple (few?) weeks ago.  One sprouted immediately and has several leaves and I suppose will start shooting them to the top soon.  The other was very slow and just has little buds.  I thought it was a dud and have picked it up a couple times to make sure it wasn't upside down.  I'm curious to see if it goes as fast as the other did once it started or if it's going to be slower 'forever'.  The faster one sent out like a runner and plopped down into the sand an inch or so away from the bulb.  Pretty plant 🙂

These things get so big so fast! Bought one knowing basically nothing about it other than it put up lily pads cause I thought that would be cool (I was right). Did NOT expect it to grow so fast or have leaves the size of my hand. Really glad I got it though because as soon as it exploded it sucked up all the nitrite and nitrate. I can dose fertilizer and still come up with a near zero read. Just crazy!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 10:55 PM, SimmonsSnailsNScales said:

I wish I had a photo.

I wish you did too, I'd love to see it!

On 3/24/2023 at 8:09 AM, BeeGryphon said:

Did NOT expect it to grow so fast or have leaves the size of my hand. Really glad I got it though because as soon as it exploded it sucked up all the nitrite and nitrate.

Wow, it might be too big for my 14g cube with leaves that big. I love how well it's turned out for you!

On 3/24/2023 at 12:22 PM, CJhilljack said:

Wow, it might be too big for my 14g cube with leaves that big. I love how well it's turned out for you!

Well, it has ONE giant leaf (so far?) (it has more than one leaf just that only the first leaf to emerge is the giant one). I only have a 10g tank and yeah I'm like 😳 I understand now why I've seen instructions say you have to trim it to keep it in a tank under 20g. It's a delightful plant though, I love it. My ember tetras seem to love it too. Every night when the lights go out on of them goes and hangs out on the big leaf for a while.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, CJhilljack said:

I wish you did too, I'd love to see it!

Here is that 20 Long. All those Lilly pads are from a single bulb. Once the plant had a lot of pads up top it stopped producing underwater leaves.

97B3B901-7EE7-498C-B9A8-0C2ECB638BEE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2