Dwarf Aquarium Lily

I have questions regarding my aquarium dwarf lily. 

I have had this plant for awhile. Its never shot leaves up to the top which I have liked up until now. I have decided to move one of them to another tank in which I want them to shoot up. It's a mutt guppy tank so they will appreciate the top cover. I'm not sure why it never has shot leaves up but maybe it was trained before I got it. Is there any way to train it back?

Next question is regarding propagating. I assumed it's propagation would be similar to how I've propagated tiger lotus in the past. Remove the bulb from the mother plant. The mother will grow a new bulb and the bulb will grow a new plant. My experience with the lily is that it's popping out new plants and growing new bulbs on its own. Is this normal?  If so wow how easy!

20230307_174050.jpg

@Cinnebuns

it appears you buried the bulb, this is not good.

bulb plants like this like to have their bulbs uncovered. I believe yours is propagating so much due to a natural instinct in plants and animals that if conditions are horrible,or the population is in decline, or often both, to reproduce like crazy, this could also explain why its been a while since its sent out shoots. So definetly uncover the bulb, the plant will thank you.

thats how the lilies propagate? i always assumed it was by flower. ill have to check if my bulb is making new plants.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Theplatymaster said:

it appears you buried the bulb, this is not good.

That's another point of confusion. I tried to do half in and half out but it wouldn't stay. With it buried how it is its thriving better and making babies. The babies bulbs appear buried before I even know they exist. I'm very confused. I'll try pulling it out more again but I had issues when I did before. 

I literally just found a 3rd one I didn't know existed just 10 min ago. The bulb that's developing on it is developed fully buried without any input from me. 

On 3/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, Theplatymaster said:

meaning floating?

Yes. I often found it at the top of the tank. The bulbs are super tiny. Like less than half the size my tiger lotus bulb was. 

On 3/7/2023 at 7:25 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I literally just found a 3rd one I didn't know existed just 10 min ago. The bulb that's developing on it is developed fully buried without any input from me. 

so is it putting out lots of leaves AND reproducing, or just doing one. I was basing my answer off of this from the ACO product page on this plant:

Screenshot_2023-03-07_19-25-27.png.06f5e3ab689037a10aebd6faee1ba9a3.png

my concern is that if it is reproducing more then it is sending out leaves, it is the doom, reproduct, instinct i talked about earlier. mine is sending out tons of leaves, and even a flower, but is not making baby plants.

Edited by Theplatymaster

• Administrators

I'd bring the bulb up so it's 50% in the substrate and 50% below. A tank shot might provide a better overall look. Perhaps the plant is being shaded from the light a bit. Are you supplementing the plant with good tabs as it's a heavy root feeder to replenish the nutrients in the bulb.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, Theplatymaster said:

my concern is that if it is reproducing more then it is sending out leaves, it is the doom, reproduct, instinct i talked about earlier.

That very well may be. It is producing leaves but very few and not sending them up. I will try pulling the bulb up but everytime I do it ends up floating. 

On 3/7/2023 at 7:58 PM, Cory said:

I'd bring the bulb up so it's 50% in the substrate and 50% below. A tank shot might provide a better overall look. Perhaps the plant is being shaded from the light a bit. Are you supplementing the plant with good tabs as it's a heavy root feeder to replenish the nutrients in the bulb.

Here is a full tank shot:

20230307_222839.jpg.99939cca37d246e298367b993069e7f1.jpg

The lily is in the front right corner. It is a 29 gallon with a medium light so maybe depth is an issue as well. I do plan to put one of them in a 20 with a similar light so maybe that will help the one. I do add root tabs every month. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

• Administrators

The bulbs are nutrients storage, they get consumed while establishing roots, if not enough nutrients or buried too deep they rot. I think this is a case of planting them and letting the roots establish. Do you have tweezers? These should be easy to plant with a set of tweezers.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:31 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Here is a full tank shot:

20230307_222839.jpg.99939cca37d246e298367b993069e7f1.jpg

The lily is in the front right corner. It is a 29 gallon with a medium light so maybe depth is an issue as well. I do plan to put one of them in a 20 with a similar light so maybe that will help the one. I do add root tabs every month. 

What's that pinkish plant on left front side? Looking nice!

On 3/8/2023 at 11:18 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Why sad?

I missed them when they were in stock here. After that, I have never seen them again :')

I was hoping maybe something different that I can get, as I liked the look of it. But nope 😄