Ammonia in tap water

Markp2483

So had some sick fish. Spooled up a qt tank. Ran the fish through meds (1 week). Water changed started feeding food . Tested water noticed a little ammonia so water changes ( end of week two). Today noticed the fish were not as good as they were before yesterday waterchange. Tested water and found ammonia.  Did a big water change and fish immediately did not like it. Lost one and the other one still super stressed out.  Tested the qt water 2.0 ammonia.  How could that be just changed 90% water. Tested tap water at least 2.0+ ammonia.  
I live in Costa Mesa, California and on city water. I change water by pumping water into 20 gallon trash can, match temp with a digital thermometer and treat with accr. I run a pump in the trash can for recirculation before pumping into tank. This is the first time that I’ve had this problem.  Have others had this problem?  What’s the solution? Yell at the town? kdf filter? Super bummed had both fish near 100% and then this happens.

image below is straight out of the tap

image.jpg.f65530a789b2c030f04ce2961e21ee35.jpg

Ordered a growonix hydroponic filter with kfd85 filter supposedly that will remove chloramine and ammonia. Will mount that to my trash can mixing container.  Hopefully that will do the trick for now. 

also emailed my water department.  Will post there reply here

I think I'm going to test my tap water tomorrow out of curiosity. 🤔   I can only recall testing it about 8 months ago. It will be interesting to see if anything has changed and hopefully if so,  nothing to extreme.  :classic_ohmy:

Reply for town below whole lot of nothing. Also talked to my lfs and he says it happens.   

"Good morning Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to the City of Newport Beach Utilities department.  I am sorry to hear about your fish.  We have not changed anything within our system.  We make great efforts to maintain consistency with our water quality.  Every year, the dialysis centers in the City of Newport Beach will contact us asking if changes are to be made that we notify them.  Nothing have changed recently nor will it in the foreseeable future.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Have a good day.

Best,"

• Confused 1

Hi Pepere

I think your right about the chlorine.  I get virtually nothing when i test for chlorine.  Seems like something is off with there chloramine system.  I only temporally hold the water in the trash can.  This was just to  get the temp right (mixing hot and cold)  and was for making sure the accr got mixed in before adding to tank.  Already order the kdf85 filter so that should solve the ammonia and chlorine problem in the future. My thought process was it was easier to get a better water filter than to have to wait 24hrs to have useable water. And i would have to heat the water up to tank temp in the garage which has been in the 40's and 50's.  Cold temp would also slow down bacteria ammonia uptake.  no option is ideal

Agree with everything but I’m impatient and would rather water on demand (stuff happens) plus wife doesn’t want any more tanks even if they are temporary-ish. Filter was 130 last 6-8months and the replacement is 25 for the kdf cartridge and sediment is 8. Not the cheapest solution but live in a small apartment.