Electric Blue Acara/ Blue Acara aggression

Nate710

I’ve had these two Acaras together for over a year and a half now. My Electric blue has a fin that is completely torn up. The Blue Acara has no fin damage, although he is typically the one being chased. I don’t have a second tank to separate them. I do not want to rehome either of them now that I’ve had them this long. I’ve tried adding more hard scape for areas to hide but they are always together. I’m 99% sure they are both males since I’ve never seen eggs but they do show breeding behavior a lot. They are in a 75 gallon with 8 skirt tetras, 4 pictus cats, dwarf gourami and a super red pleco. I don’t think I have the room to add any more or even if that’s a good idea. What can I do to tone back the aggression?

FF81030E-3AF9-46CD-8FA0-DDFC5FCA9D21.jpeg

CBD46344-A69A-4AD6-A3B7-A6DF227A2BC2.jpeg

1367F7E2-442F-4E42-917B-95228E991DB6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

Beautiful tank! I’d ditch one, and buy a female. But… I love breeding my fish. If you don’t 😬 look out…

Thank you! Do you think adding a third would do more harm than good?

On 3/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, Nate710 said:

Thank you! Do you think adding a third would do more harm than good?

At that size / age / maturity, two males of the same species will often keep fighting. Adding more EBAs won’t change that, IMHO.

If raised together from fry, many can be kept together in one tank. Aggression can be well dispersed.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 3/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, Fish Folk said:

At that size / age / maturity, two males of the same species will often keep fighting. Adding more EBAs won’t change that, IMHO.

If raised together from fry, many can be kept together in one tank. Aggression can be well dispersed.

Thank you, appreciate the feedback!