Shrimp

Jackson

I have had a couple of bloody mary shrimp have what looks to be a whitish stripe run down the back top of the shell . One just died . All my other fish and shrimp are fine . I have one more like it but can't get a pic right now . Just curious as to what it is on or in the shell. 

It could be what's called "the white ring of death". Basically, your shrimp might be having molting issues and part of their old shell isn't coming off properly. Then, the shrimp dies because it got stuck in its shell. This can be cause by water that's too soft or not enough calcium. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:37 AM, SandBkeeper said:

It could be what's called "the white ring of death". Basically, your shrimp might be having molting issues and part of their old shell isn't coming off properly. Then, the shrimp dies because it got stuck in its shell. This can be cause by water that's too soft or not enough calcium. 

What is good calcium for the shrimp . What food ?

I have HIKARI shrimp cuisine , has calcium in it . Maybe I need to feed them more of it

On 3/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, SandBkeeper said:

It could be what's called "the white ring of death".

It looks like this

Cherry Shrimp Molting Problems: How To Deal With Those? – Acuario Pets

On 3/2/2023 at 4:43 PM, GCH said:

What is good calcium for the shrimp . What food ?

I have HIKARI shrimp cuisine , has calcium in it . Maybe I need to feed them more of it

That's good. you can also feed special shrimp foods if you like. There are ones that cover general needs. But neocaridinas generally do well with lots of stuff.

Shrimp also need enough calcium and magnesium content in the water as well as trace elements for a healthy molting. So food is not enough alone. 

I feel like your shrimp just can be old. Or maybe there is a stress factor and not ideal water parameters. Or maybe it is just a low grade female. What are your water parameters/do you dose anything? Keeping ideal parameters and more importantly keeping it stable is important for shrimp in general.

Also shrimp sometimes look dead but they might be having a hard time molting instead. Let them be. I've seen it 3 times until now and every time they managed to molt after an hour or so. I feel like they have harder time when they get older.

Here is what I mean:

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

My parameters seem okay . Run about 7.2 ph and my nitrates fluctuate  it seems between  5 and 20 on the api chart . I do 2 two to three gallon water changes about mid  week then do a 50% change and vac about once a week  My shrimp didn't have the ring just the white stripe running down the top back .

On 3/2/2023 at 8:18 AM, GCH said:

My parameters seem okay . Run about 7.2 ph and my nitrates fluctuate  it seems between  5 and 20 on the api chart . I do 2 two to three gallon water changes about mid  week then do a 50% change and vac about once a week  My shrimp didn't have the ring just the white stripe running down the top back .

That's the "racing stripe," and it's harmless.  It's somewhat common in red shrimp, and very common in yellow shrimp (in fact I cull yellow shrimp that don't have it).  It will tend to get wider, with ragged edges, as the shrimp gets older.

• Like 2

Don't have a KH test kit .  PH is about 7.2/7.4 . My tap water run 6.0 or so , very weak on the api chart . So I bring it up a bit . ammonia zip . I test my water for PH, Nitrates and ammonia befor each water change . I add prime and stability after the change . And adjust the PH

Edited by GCH
add info

On 3/2/2023 at 12:37 PM, Lennie said:

@GCH hey there,

Try to tag or quote people's posts when you are responding one, so they may recieve a notification! That way, people won't not miss your response.

Hope this helps,

I'll work on it ....  lol