A fungus among us? White webby stuff spreading under plants

KittenFishMom

I tried to give you all the relivent info. @Colu, this might belong under "Deases", but I put it here because the fish don't seem to being any signs of problem.

THE FACTS:

55 Gallon semi-Walstad tank with organic potting soil under a large grain sand cap. Lots of large drift wood, some small drift wood and cholla wood. 5 or 6 IALs I think I got the tank set up in Dec 2022.

Livestock

Peppered corys (about 11 adults unknown number of hiding fry)

Neon Tetras (9)

Kuhli Loaches That I almost never see (5)

Male Plakat Betta (1)

Mystery snails, and a wide variety of other snails.

A few leeches

Scuds that I never see

Plants: Lots and lots. There are lily and lotus that are putting up lily pads, philodendrons, lots of smallish plants I cannot remember the names of, and a lot of java moss carpeting most of the bottom and mingling here and there with pre-filters and drift wood. There is a banana plant and java fern that is hidden there somewhere.

Water Parms from ACO dip sticks:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: < 10

Nitrite: 0

HG: < 300

KH: 0

pH: < 6.4

Cl:0

Temp: 70

Problem: I have something white spreading under some plants moved to cover a relatively bare spot. It was rather slap-dash. Now the plants are thriving and dense. I think they have slowed the flow in that area of the tank. There is some webby white stuff spreading under these plants. I don’t want to rip them out for fear of releasing this stuff into the rest of the tank. I added several alder cones in that area, hope the natural anti-fungal tannins would clear things up. This may have surfaced form the potting soil, or was in the water and the slow flow let it take hold. Not sure of the best way to treat it.

I will be doing a water change this evening. The daily changes on the shrimp cory fry tank have caused me to get behind with the big tank.

Thanks for your help

KittenFishMom (My cory kittenfish are SO cute)

White stuff under Java moss and other small plants:

whitestuff3.jpg.b497e480daa035f5b47c998f4016f5db.jpg

rim of below surface bowl for moon light on a pond after dark and cholla wood:

whitestuff2.jpg.d2c56768ae4f4eb1d790d377627e2612.jpg

Alder cone having no effect:whitestuff1.jpg.8ec1a9a7825bc954abf3feee57f786ab.jpg

More white stuff on black sand under Java moss:

whitestuff5.jpg.fe69f90bf4558fc54acdab25f67d4848.jpg

white stuff 4.jpg

Could be a type of fungus or mould it probably caused by a combination of low flow and potting soil I would try and increase flow in the affected area you could add ick X and leave it to marinate for week as it treats fungal infections I don't think the mould or fungus will   harm your fish @KittenFishMom

@Colu It looks like wood "dry rot" to me. If it won't harm the fish, I can trim the plants without uprooting them and get better flow in that area. I don't mind if takes awhile to go away, aas long as my fish are safe.. There might have been a stick or something in the potting soil, or a spot of dry rot in the drift wood, that the snails opened up.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:28 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Colu It looks like wood "dry rot" to me. If it won't harm the fish, I can trim the plants without uprooting them and get better flow in that area. I don't mind if takes awhile to go away, aas long as my fish are safe.. There might have been a stick or something in the potting soil, or a spot of dry rot in the drift wood, that the snails opened up.

You could try putting an air stone in the affected area to help increase flow