Baby swordtail gender

knee

On 2/23/2023 at 12:53 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Minanora Help us out when you can!

It's a female right now. No defined gonopodium

What is the length of the fish in your estimation (total length to the end of the tail)?  I'll snag some photos of mine, they are getting bigger! 🙂

I’d say 1” or maybe a tiny bit less. I’ll try to get more photos later when the lights turn on. 

It’s so hard to get a photo of them. It’s like they know that I’m taking their photo 😂😂

On 2/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, Theplatymaster said:

@knee what's the age?

i think its too early to say "its male" or "its female"

Not sure. Definitely less than a month. 
if I have to guess I’d say 3 weeks but still not certain because when I saw the baby 2 weeks ago it already looked like a miniature version of the parents. 

I probably saw it before that but didn’t notice because it was hanging out with the ember tetras 😂

If you are trying to prevent breeding (as opposed to just being curious) I would say 4 to 6 months minimum--many juvenile swordtails will be clearly male by that age but I've had one look like an adult female for several months and then start to grow a gonopodium, so I wouldn't bet the farm on a fish being female until they are 6+ months old. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@kneefforgot I took photos for you. I've seen swords prior to the size you're at but I would say check every couple of days. These are about half of full size, just over an inch, 1.25" or so.

20230223_182050.JPG

20230223_181857.JPG

20230223_181851.JPG

5" net. Both clearly female to me.

....and yes. They would not sit still.

They are adorable! That’s a great color, it makes their eyes stand out.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:06 PM, Huckleberry said:

One thing I noticed with swords is that some show early and  others show way way later. Keep an eye on out for a gondapodium, they show up out of no where. 

Yup. Had another one show up for the first time today, on one of the juveniles I brought in from the summer tub in October. These juveniles were over an inch long when I brought them in, so they are at least six months old. Now I am down to only three potential females to breed with. I hope at least one of them stays female!