New howdy

Furbs

After years of waiting until I had a house to get back into fish keeping I've decided to stop waiting. I've taken over someone's neglected 5 gallon tank. It has two 6+ year old harlequin rasbora (last of a school)  one pleco I think is a female bristle nose pleco and a handful of amano shrimps.  I quickly realized none of these should be in that small of a tank so I set up a 29g three weeks ago. Stuffed it with all the cheap offer up plants I could get my hands on, watched dozens of hours of videos and moved everyone in. Little early but the ammonia and nitrite levels have stayed below .25 and I am testing daily.  

iPhone_cec3a_IMG_0536.JPG.193ab03b65fb1434272e6f098c3e8f5b.JPG 

Spent all my free time this past week trying to narrow down the direction I want to  go with the 29g. Ive always wanted a shrimp colony. I love watching the amano shrimp so much. Rili shrimp would be so cute. The more I research it though the less hope I have in keeping them in the 29g because every center piece fish I want do not go great with them. Id like a koi betta, or a German blue ram, dwarf gourami or an apistogramma cacatuoides. 

iPhone_cec3a_IMG_0537.JPG.93f5fa37e9bde7c7c23831cc00b089a9.JPG  So the he 5 gallon fluval spec Vmay become a rili shrimp tank with a small nano fish school. Someday I can test out shrimps in the 29g but I dont wanna make it too hard on myself from the start.

20230219-iPhone_cec3a_IMG_0538.jpg.cd9a2436e378271608b0cfa1b384281b.jpg

My partner also easily talked me into cycling a 10g planted tank for a betta. I dont think I can have any more tanks with this 2-3 tanks. The 5g may still need to go or only be for quarantine. Upgrading it to a 10g feels like pushing my lease 🙈

The rasbora have shown little mating dances, and the pleco has better color since moving into the 29g tank. Very happy to see this behavior from them and relaxing to them after work has been amazing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Welcome! Hooray for those creatures to move to a bigger tank. I'm sure they appreciate you so much! The 5 gallon would be cool for shrimp. I have a red rili and a blue dream tank. Shrimp are addictive, lol. I keep eyeing others. Green? Orange? Yellow? Chocolate? So many kinds and I want them al!!!

• Love 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, smm333 said:

Welcome! Hooray for those creatures to move to a bigger tank. I'm sure they appreciate you so much! The 5 gallon would be cool for shrimp. I have a red rili and a blue dream tank. Shrimp are addictive, lol. I keep eyeing others. Green? Orange? Yellow? Chocolate? So many kinds and I want them al!!!

I’m trying to keep my eyes on one shrimp. Idk if I have the heart to cull my tank. Unless they can survive within the other tanks I wouldn’t really have anywhere to move them to. I am anxious about color mixing, turning brown or just getting to low quality stock anyways. 

My youngest Amano keeping the heater in top top shape. DB5BD66B-B389-42E9-927F-BB55B5FCE353.jpeg.f8adc47c3a07d77f90b5e78fb4a67da1.jpeg

On 2/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, John Henry said:

Welcome @New howdy, MTS right from the start, proud of ya!!

Hard to be helped! I keep telling my self, the 5g will go into storage as a quarantine tank, but I really, really, wanna keep some neo shrimp and watch them thrive. 
   Now the 10g, that came out of no where I can just convince myself it isn’t mine right. No mts here! 

I've got mixed shrimp... blue, yellow, some green ones showed up, some clear, some brown, some almost black.  I think it's pretty cool and I don't think there's anything wrong with just letting them rip.  You don't have to cull them.  Unless you're going to sell them as something specific.  I am not sure shrimp will overpopulate in any meaningful sense of the word.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:16 PM, Furbs said:

Hard to be helped! I keep telling my self, the 5g will go into storage as a quarantine tank, but I really, really, wanna keep some neo shrimp and watch them thrive. 
   Now the 10g, that came out of no where I can just convince myself it isn’t mine right. No mts here! 

Just think of it in terms of gallons, glass sides are just arbitrary boundaries anyway!  So you've got 44 gallons, completely reasonable.  I've got 262 gallons and another 244 in reserve.  Who cares how many containers it's in? 😄