Noisy Aqueon Quietflow 75’s. Should I return them?

eddie462

On 2/19/2023 at 4:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Does the sound go away when you remove the plastic lids (on the tank and the HoB)?

It almost sounds like the gree house panel vibrating. You mentioned that you cleaned the pumps. Impellers and everything looked good?

@eddie462

When I take the hob lids off and the greenhouse panel lids, the grinding is still there. Both impellers and straight and symmetrical. The grinding sound is coming from the left side of the filters where the motor is. The sound is also variable. The right filter was louder all of the time, but now the left one is louder.  

On 2/19/2023 at 1:18 PM, eddie462 said:

When I take the hob lids off and the greenhouse panel lids, the grinding is still there. Both impellers and straight and symmetrical. The grinding sound is coming from the left side of the filters where the motor is. The sound is also variable. The right filter was louder all of the time, but now the left one is louder.

Unplug them, disassemble them, take apart the pumps and specifically clean the impeller and the cavity the impeller sits in. I use a toothbrush for mine. The second thing is to use something like silicone grease to ensure the impeller isn't suffering from too much friction on the shaft.

Something is disturbing the pump/impeller causing grinding.

I'll try to track a video down of full disassembly on the HoB to give it a good clean.

On 2/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Unplug them, disassemble them, take apart the pumps and specifically clean the impeller and the cavity the impeller sits in. I use a toothbrush for mine. The second thing is to use something like silicone grease to ensure the impeller isn't suffering from too much friction on the shaft.

Something is disturbing the pump/impeller causing grinding.

I'll try to track a video down of full disassembly on the HoB to give it a good clean.

Thanks. I’ll watch the video and try cleaning it again. I’ve taken the impeller and wipes it off. There is nothing on the  insides of the shafts when I took them apart before, but I’ll brush them just in case. 

On 2/19/2023 at 1:39 PM, eddie462 said:

Thanks. I’ll watch the video and try cleaning it again. I’ve taken the impeller and wipes it off. There is nothing on the  insides of the shafts when I took them apart before, but I’ll brush them just in case. 

Make sure the bushing is there and clean.

The part the pump latches into (HoB container) I clean that out too when you run into an issue like that. If a plant gets stuck in there or something, you get noise in there that is very similar.