Ronald McDonald House

Ender97

This last week my daughter got taken to the reginal kids hospital. While there My wife and I were given a room at the Ronald McDonald House where they took good care of us. The ladies were wonderful. What makes this a fish / aquarium issue it that each house has one or more tank for people to watch and relax around. We all know how being around one can help with peace of mind. The two at the house I stayed at were sad. The fish populations were a jumbled mix that were fighting each other, all the plants were artificial, the filters were outdated and although nice to have could have bin so much better and easier to take care of. 

I live over 3 hours from there but I was convicted that my skills could help them. I was wondering would there be interest in this community to start perhaps an adopt a house campaign to partner with Ronald McDonald House to show off what we as a community can do and help out the kids and families while sharing our passion. I am willing to step forward and say that I am willing to do what ever I can to make this happen if any others want to join in.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope for a swift recovery for her. Does the city that the house you stayed in have an aquarium club? That could be a good start, to contact the club and see if they do outreach work in the community. You can contact the House itself and ask who currently manages it and then in turn call that group to see how you could help. Start small and begin to branch out with successes. 

I've thought of this same thing, I have a sibling with a congenital heart disease, so growing up I spent my fair share of time in hospital waiting rooms well as a little bit in Ronald McDonald house. While I  can certainly attest to the relaxing effects of children's hospital aquariums most of the tanks were somewhat disappointing to me, thinking back I believe they were healthy just not quite what they could be. Also as a side note, allot of them were stocked more for an aquarist not kids the one thing I specifically remember was a tank of big drab nocturnal lazy fish which as a child I found rather boring so if anyone has the opportunity to stock a children's hospital tank I would vote for active and colorful fish as well as some others that you will see only as you spend time observing. 

I definitely think this would be a great way for norms to support those in very difficult situations and If I lived closer to a children's hospital I would see about scappeing or maintaining some tanks. And would certainly encourage anyone who can to do so. Keeping us updated with a journal would be an add bonus ;)