112 liter/30 gallons stocking ideas.

TheSwissAquarist

Here is my suggestion:

Whatever YOU want. Its your tank, have fish/animals you really enjoy, just do more of those, whatever i say doesnt make a difference if you dont like it. (I stole that line from Cory in a livestream, just saying).

Also when i plugged 112 liters into my calculater its 31.5gallons, you have another 1.5gallon to work with then you thought!

Edited by Theplatymaster

if you choose to ignore my previous comment here is what i reccomend:

half a Backround of Brazilian Pennywort, it looks cool, grows at a medium rate, and with its big leaves fills in space,

the other half leave to a dwarf aquarium lily, i love that plant.

Midground:Some small rocks covered in Anubias Barteri, and Java Fern Windelov

Foreground: Leave bare for easy feeding purposes

. Animals: 1m 3f platies , choose colors you like. 6-8 of your favorite corydora speicies, a panda garra, and 8-12 of your favorite tetra (between 1 and 2inchs) (If you want to passively breed the platies, dont do the tetras, they are a fun side fish, but very effective hunter for platy fry).

If you are thinking, "This stocking sounds very similar to your tank" its what i enjoy, and think others will enjoy.

Edited by Theplatymaster

I personally think visiting your lfs/wherever you like to get your fish and seeing them irl is the best idea. I ALWAYS ended up changing my plans based on what I like when I visit my lfs. The last one being yesterday 😺

Considering you wanted plant suggestion, I assume you want a planted tank. I've found this from MD's channel for you. I really liked the look of it. And none of them are really hard plants and you can easily multiply the rooted ones whenever they start to grow. Also I think you can find even better wood pieces in my opinion. Not a huge fan of the big one personally, except the way it is in sync with the small piece.

image.png.5a73c3a5e94014fc8995833b4dbc1388.png

If you gonna keep it with no lid, just like me, no jumpers ofcourse.

I wanna say 12 pygmy corys (Lennie stop......), maybe around 15-20small/medium size tetras you like to watch(green neons f.e.), and either one or 1m:2f honey gouramis. I personally think  orange and yellow tones really compliment the green plants, and having some cute but less colored fish help other colored ones to pop even more

Enjoy your new tank @TheSwissAquarist. I'm curious and excited to see how it will be like when it is set up!!

Edited by Lennie
  • Love 1

• Pair of dwarf cichlids (rams, apistos, african butterfly cichlid)
  • cory pygmaeus or habrosus 
  • lampeye killifish for top dwellers (only if the tank will be covered because they do jump)
  • otos (I would add them maybe 2 months after the tank is setup)

Plants:

• some floater like; salvinia, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce (optional but probably some of the easiest plants to grow)
  • anacharis, hornwort, guppy grass, water sprite, water wisteria and hydrocotyle are some easy plants too, that are mainly water column feeders

On 2/3/2023 at 8:56 PM, knee said:

lampeye killifish for top dwellers (only if the tank will be covered because they do jump)

I'm considering them for myself too, and when I was checking for species spotlight, I've seen Rachel O'Leary mentioning they are not really prone to jumping like others. They were in a no lid tank in my lfs too! Normally they keep killis with a lid on

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, Lennie said:

I'm considering them for myself too, and when I was checking for species spotlight, I've seen Rachel O'Leary mentioning they are not really prone to jumping like others. They were in a no lid tank in my lfs too! Normally they keep killis with a lid on

i find it hilarious that according to Ichthyologist Google, all fish will jump.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:10 PM, Theplatymaster said:

all fish will jump.

I think to some extend they will, mostly if they get chased, scared or too excited, or if they are driven by their hunting food behavior. But most cant even make a noticible jump even then from what I've observed. Also if it is a peaceful tank and nobody bothers each other, I feel like jumping behavior is less likely to happen unless the fish aren't well known jumpers and especially if you keep floating plants.

I've seen this video yesterday. And it helped me to understand about killis nature really well and why they are generally prone to jumping. In case you haven't seen it, I'm sharing it below!

Edited by Lennie

On 2/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, Lennie said:

Maybe not all the time but in my experience they have jumped. But that's also probably because of how my lights were setup before. When I first kept them the ramp up and ramp down with the lights wasn't really a thing so my lights just turned on and off per their schedule, and when the light would suddenly turn off the killis would swim to the nearest light source, which would be some ambient light from my ceiling. 

They would swim towards the light so fast that they end up jumping out of the tank 😞

I only realized when my school started getting smaller and I found their dried up bodies behind or on the side of the tank.

• Sad 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, knee said:

Maybe not all the time but in my experience they have jumped. But that's also probably because of how my lights were setup before. When I first kept them the ramp up and ramp down with the lights wasn't really a thing so my lights just turned on and off per their schedule, and when the light would suddenly turn off the killis would swim to the nearest light source, which would be some ambient light from my ceiling. 

They would swim towards the light so fast that they end up jumping out of the tank 😞

I only realized when my school started getting smaller and I found their dried up bodies behind or on the side of the tank.

I'm sorry to hear that 😞

I've never kept kilis myself(yet). But It is always good to learn from experiences. Just wanted to share Rachel O'Leary's video as I find her videos as a really good and reliable source of info!

I will keep that in mind in case I plan to keep them

On 2/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, Lennie said:

I think to some extend they will, mostly if they get chased, scared or too excited, or if they are driven by their hunting food behavior. But most cant even make a noticible jump even then from what I've observed. Also if it is a peaceful tank and nobody bothers each other, I feel like jumping behavior is less likely to happen unless the fish aren't well known jumpers and especially if you keep floating plants.

I've seen this video yesterday. And it helped me to understand about killis nature really well and why they are generally prone to jumping. In case you haven't seen it, I'm sharing it below!

That’s a really nice video @Lennie
I also like the look of the MD scape…

• Like 1

Centerpiece fish: puffers - red eye trio, peas (5-7), South American 3-5; Nannacara anomala 5 or electric blue Acaras pair or GBR or Bolivian rams; pearl gouramis; wild bettas - 2 pairs. 

Schoolers: SA tank black or red phantom tetra; Asia drapefin barb, melon barb, rummynose rasbora. 

bottom dweller: small to medium coryadoras habrosus/hastatus, panda 🐼, pallleatus; dwarf chain loaches; L181 plecos; garra

On 2/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I also like the look of the MD scape…

That seems pretty doable to me! That's the good part. Just a lil bit bigger than your tank, it is 37g. but it is always possible to convert it to something smaller.

Also you can plant the cuttings you may get from other tanks as they are not that rare plants in general. Densely planting from zero can be a bit too expensive. You can always play around and see whatever floats your boat!

Here is the full video as you seemed interested:

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1