Chili's with peas

YYC Carrie

Good morning all, 

As you know, I have 2 empty 5 gal's and 2 empty 10 gal's. Having never kept one, I think love pea puffers. I thought about getting like 5 in a 30 gal, planted ofc, but what about a nano tank instead. 

I would like oppinions of keeping maybe 5 chili rasbora in a 5 gal with a single pea... thoughts?

TIA

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:42 AM, YYC Carrie said:

Good morning all, 

As you know, I have 2 empty 5 gal's and 2 empty 10 gal's. Having never kept one, I think love pea puffers. I thought about getting like 5 in a 30 gal, planted ofc, but what about a nano tank instead. 

I would like oppinions of keeping maybe 5 chili rasbora in a 5 gal with a single pea... thoughts?

TIA

That is extremely unlikely to turn out well for the chilis.  I tried ember tetras (almost triple the mass of chilis even though not that much difference in length) as dither fish for pea puffers and it went fairly well for a couple months but the embers were clearly not very happy.  Then one ember disappeared, I decided to move them, then another, then finally 2 more disappeared within about 36 hours before I could get the rest moved out. No further ember deaths after the remaining embers were moved to another tank.  Chilis would almost guarantee be gone quickly.  Fish bigger than peas are at risk from peas, fish smaller than peas are food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you ever do get a pea puffer, you will soon find out that they are amazing enough on their own. No other inhabitants needed and they are also known as murder helicopters just to give you an idea of what tankmates can look forward to. Pea puffers are pretty incredible. Enjoy! 

Edited by Mynameisnobody
  • Love 1