Gold Dust Molly possibly has popeye

Tropicalfishkeeping201

Hello fishkeepers, 

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I have a molly that I have had for 9 months that has been acting abnormal lately. She use to be very active and currently she is still eating but I noticed recently that she hides sometimes, is less active, and sometimes I see her resting on the substrate on the bottom of the tank. She occasionally swims around the tank but not like she use to and I find her lying on the substrate which is very unusual of her. I'm not sure but I also think one of her eyes are a bit swollen. I think she could possibly have popeye but not sure. I'm not sure what she has. How should I treat her? 

I did a 40% water change this past Friday even though there was No Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrates were low. I have a 30 gallon community tank with some platys, mollys, 1 bolivian ram and 1 Dwarf flag Cichlid. They all get along just fine. I do not see any aggression on this tank. She is also not pregnant, there are no males on this tank.

Tested water parameters on Friday using the API Freshwater Master test kit: 

- Nitrate: 10 or 20 ppm

- Ammonia: 0 ppm

- Nitrite: 0 ppm

- pH: 7.0 

- Kh: 2 drops (35.8 ppm)

- Gh: 6 drops ( 107.4 ppm)

Did a 40% water change afterwards.

Thank you in advance

Pic 1 .jpg

Pic 2 .jpg

Edited by Tropicalfishkeeping201

On 1/23/2023 at 12:24 PM, Colu said:

Your KH is on the low side for Molly's they like a KH above 178ppm I would add some crushed coral to help raise your KH and have you got a better picture of the other eye for comparison has she recently given birth as livebearers commonly have complications when giving birth @Tropicalfishkeeping201

Thank you @Colu for replying, I really appreciate it. I'm going to purchase some crushed corals to increase the kH. I added some more pictures, its very hard to take a clear picture of her eyes but these are what I was able to take. Its been awhile since she last gave birth and currently, there are no males on the tank because I took them out and put them in another tank. Do you think the low kH is what caused her to become ill?

I've had her for about 9 months and she was fine but just recently she started becoming less active and became ill. What do you recommend me to do to treat her?  

Molly pic 1.jpg

Molly pic 2.jpg

Molly pic 4.jpg

On 1/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, Colu said:

I think the low KH is the cause of what your seeing  I would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons that will help reduce any possible fluid buildup in the eye 

Thank you so much! @Colu I'm going to put her in a separate 10 gallon tank and add some salt and buy some crushed coral to help increase the kH. Do you think I should also use Fritz Maracyn 2 for bacterial infections in her hospital tank?  Can I add both the salt and this medication at the same time in the tank? 

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtube.com/shorts/P73lY3SSYn0?feature=share

Hello @Colu, I have been treating my molly in a separate 10 gallon tank for a week and right now there are 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt in there and some crushed coral that I have slowly been adding into this tank to increase the Kh. I wish I could say that she has recovered but unfortunately there hasn't been any improvement in her health.

Earlier this week she seemed to be struggling to swim and today she started swimming on her side.  About two days ago she was swimming through the bottom of the tank but she would once in a while stay still in a spot.  I have provided a video of how she has been swimming today. Please let me know if you are able to see it. What should I do? I really want to help her recover but I don't know how. 😢  She really has been giving it her all to survive and I want to help her. Yesterday I tested the water parameters using the Freshwater Master Test kit  and this is what I got:

- Ammonia: 0 ppm

- pH: 7.6

-High range pH: 7.4

- Kh: 53.7 ppm ( 3 drops)

Thank you in advance

On 2/3/2023 at 4:16 AM, Colu said:

I can't see the video  what I would do is add a pound of crushed coral to increase your KH increase the salt to one table spoon for 1 gallon 1 would also do a course of maracyn2 @Tropicalfishkeeping201

Sorry about that, I have made my video temporarily public on youtube. Please let me know if you can see it. Thank you for replying @Colu I've been adding crushed coral but so far it has increased the Ph but only increased the Kh by a little. I'm going to add more though. Thanks again

It could be shimmies  that caused by to lower mineral levels I would still up the the level of salt and do a course of maracyn2 just in case their a bacterial component you typically need one pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons you can add it to your substrate as well as adding it to your filter in a media bag to raise the KH you could add some wonder shell to add some extra minerals to the tank it won't do much to raise your GH or KH @Tropicalfishkeeping201

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:51 AM, Colu said:

It could be shimmies  that caused by to lower mineral levels I would still up the the level of salt and do a course of maracyn2 just in case their a bacterial component you typically need one pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons you can add it to your substrate as well as adding it to your filter in a media bag to raise the KH you could add some wonder shell to add some extra minerals to the tank it won't do much to raise your GH or KH @Tropicalfishkeeping201

Thank you so much @Colu! I really appreciate it! I will add more crushed coral to the tank and salt. Thanks again! 🙂

• Like 1