Bent spine!?

JessLynne7

I received some new CPD’s today two males and two females. One of the males has a really bent spine. Other than that we looks good and is eating. The other fish look good and they are in quarantine. Should I be concerned about the fish with the bent spine? Should I separate him from the others? Pics to come. Tank light are out and it’s hard to get a pic now. Ph 7.8, kh 40, gh 150, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20

Bent spines can be birth defects, signs of age, infections, masses, or injuries among other things.

Amazingly, injuries can sometimes correct themselves if not too bad.  Others, not so likely. I would avoid ever breeding any fish with a bent spine but otherwise watch closely for any further symptoms or worsening, provide perfect water, and wait and see what happens.

• Like 5

On 1/15/2023 at 1:05 AM, Odd Duck said:

Bent spines can be birth defects, signs of age, infections, masses, or injuries among other things.

Amazingly, injuries can sometimes correct themselves if not too bad.  Others, not so likely. I would avoid ever breeding any fish with a bent spine but otherwise watch closely for any further symptoms or worsening, provide perfect water, and wait and see what happens.

So I was reading and it could be a defect or tv. I don’t see any lesions and he is eating so idk what to do. Should I separate him from other fish

On 1/15/2023 at 7:32 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

Yes it definitely happens and it’s most likely not going to correct itself. If you ordered them online, I would email the company and let them know. Maybe they can do something for you. 

Thank you

I agree with above. It could be any number of things. If you want to me ultra cautious…you could put in a quarantine tank and watch it for 30 days. If nothing ever comes of it/remains unchanged - then it may be an injury or birth defect. I’ve had fish that were born with curved spines and they have lived out perfectly happy, healthy lives. I’ve also seen it be an issue. It’s a case by case basis. 

On 1/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, JessLynne7 said:

So I was reading and it could be a defect or tv. I don’t see any lesions and he is eating so idk what to do. Should I separate him from other fish

Thank you

Fish TB is a bit of a misnomer since it isn’t true tuberculosis.  It is a mycobacteria infection, which is part of why I mentioned infection but there are other bacterial and viral infections that can distort the spine.  It isn’t likely for mycobacterial infections to be successfully treated.  Other bacterial infections might be, but it would be very unlikely for the spine to correct itself after a bacterial infection got bad enough to distort the spine.  Plus the fish would likely be slowly or rapidly wasting away.

This is probably more likely to be injuries or genetic issues, but it isn’t practical or realistic to be able to make a diagnosis on which of many different causes it can be for such tiny fish.  Pretty much the only thing that could potentially improve on spinal damage/distortion is an injury and even that is a bit of a long shot.  Quarantine for at least 30 days is warranted and see what happens.  If the fish worsens, then euthanasia may be in order.  If it improves, it was almost certainly an injury.  It is unlikely to go fully back to normal so contacting the seller is a good idea.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:58 PM, ccc24 said:

I agree with above. It could be any number of things. If you want to me ultra cautious…you could put in a quarantine tank and watch it for 30 days. If nothing ever comes of it/remains unchanged - then it may be an injury or birth defect. I’ve had fish that were born with curved spines and they have lived out perfectly happy, healthy lives. I’ve also seen it be an issue. It’s a case by case basis. 

Thank you. I have it in quarantine with the other but I am going to try an seperate 

On 1/15/2023 at 1:39 PM, Odd Duck said:

Fish TB is a bit of a misnomer since it isn’t true tuberculosis.  It is a mycobacteria infection, which is part of why I mentioned infection but there are other bacterial and viral infections that can distort the spine.  It isn’t likely for mycobacterial infections to be successfully treated.  Other bacterial infections might be, but it would be very unlikely for the spine to correct itself after a bacterial infection got bad enough to distort the spine.  Plus the fish would likely be slowly or rapidly wasting away.

This is probably more likely to be injuries or genetic issues, but it isn’t practical or realistic to be able to make a diagnosis on which of many different causes it can be for such tiny fish.  Pretty much the only thing that could potentially improve on spinal damage/distortion is an injury and even that is a bit of a long shot.  Quarantine for at least 30 days is warranted and see what happens.  If the fish worsens, then euthanasia may be in order.  If it improves, it was almost certainly an injury.  It is unlikely to go fully back to normal so contacting the seller is a good idea.

Thank you. I have him in quarantine w the others he came with. I think I’ll separate him. He seems normal eats and swims good, good color and chasing the girls. But I’m paranoid 

thqnk you for your help