Apontogeton Cruspus

I received 2 Apontogeton Cruspus plants a few days ago, they were banged up pretty good. I placed a root tab in each basket and placed them in the tank. I plan on waiting to remove them from the baskets once they start growing a little bit. Would it be better to do that or should I just plant them. I have black sand substrate so I will be using Root Tabs and Easy Green in this aquarium.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter. Mine (planted into inert gravel with Easy Root Tabs) melted for a couple weeks but has since bounced back strong (under a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 but no CO2). I expect that they'll do fine either way, whether the root tabs are buried in rock will or sand.

Edited by Rube_Goldfish
Typo

I recently got a couple that were pretty bang up as well. I took dead leaves off and planted the root structure / bulb in the substrate with a root tab under them. Just remember to leave the crown (top of the root structure/bulb) just above the substrate with this plant. Mine have since started growing new leaves and its only been about 2 weeks. 

I have 5 of the crispus. I see the benefit in leaving it in the pot for most plants. I do believe this is the one plant that may appreciate the out of pot experience. I had 1 left in the pot with a root tab. Then I planted 1 next to it in the substrate with a root tab. The difference wasn’t even close. The one in the pot was soon shaded by the one in the substrate. Now this is just my experience with this 1 plant. By and large, I believe leaving it in the pot, is the most beneficial while remaining the least stressful for the plant. Good luck 

• Like 1