Should I move 3 corys from the 10 gallon half cylinder breeding tank to the 55 gallon tank?

KittenFishMom

I move 3 hi fin corys from the 55 gallon tank to the 10 gallon half cylinder tank where the blue shrimp are in hopes of getting some fry. The corys laid eggs.

Now the water is getting cloudy, but the water parms are all good. The corys aren't swimming around the way they were before. I don't know if they figured out there are only 3 and want to be in a bigger group, or if the cloudy water is calming them, and they are less active, or if something else is going on.

It is much trickier catching them in the planted 55 gallon tank, so I don't want to keep moving them around if it isn't necessary to stress them by netting them. The shrimp tank is not heated, so it is cooler than the 55 gallon tank. I'll get the temps, to compare. The wind cooled the cottage, so the shrimp tank is 65 and the 55 gallon tank is 70.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:19 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Now the water is getting cloudy, but the water parms are all good. The corys aren't swimming around the way they were before. I don't know if they figured out there are only 3 and want to be in a bigger group, or if the cloudy water is calming them, and they are less active, or if something else is going on.

What are all of your parameters? As the group size gets bigger you'll see them act a bit more normal. Corydoras sitting isn't a good or bad thing. If it's out of the norm, it's one thing, they might just be more sensitive to light or something because of the clouding. Tough to say.  Let's check parameters and go from there.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:19 PM, KittenFishMom said:

The wind cooled the cottage, so the shrimp tank is 65 and the 55 gallon tank is 70.

Try to get both tanks to 72 if you can. 70 is fine, but if you can 72 gives you margin for when the nights get cold.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87

shrimp tank is 

nitrate 25

nitrite 0 

hardness 300

buffer 0

pH 6.4

I used Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ in the last water change and have 2 wonder shells in the water, as well as some crushed coral.

should I move the 3 corys or leave them in the shrimp tank.

I have Repashy Community plus. How much dry should I add to the shrimp tank. Will it bother the corys if I add it dry?

Should I stir the shrimp tank while warming it, or will that upset the shrimp and the adult corys? 

Edited by KittenFishMom

On 1/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I have Repashy Community plus. How much dry should I add to the shrimp tank. Will it bother the corys if I add it dry?

Nope it won't bother them. You're feeding that to the fry, so you'd want to see them, then that would be the food to use. The shrimp will graze on it too.

Ultimately. The parents shouldn't bother the fry, but you can move them if you really feel like you need to.  If it was me, I'd just sort of let the tank do its thing.

In terms of how much it's a very very very small amount. I've seen people use paint brushes to dip it into the powder and then tap that into the tank.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:53 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I think the shrimp tank was 40,0,0. with a temp of 65. I run the tests again. and have new complete results shortly.

Only my big heaters are adjustable for temp. How fast can I rise the temp in the shrimp tank

One degree a day is generally safe. If you raise it, wait a few hours, raise it again, you should be fine. It takes time for the tank to acclimate to having a heater.  I do cool water changes. Drop the tanks by 5+ degrees, let it sit for an hour or so, then turn the heaters back on.

The big thing is the sensitivity of those involved. Have your shrimp always been cold and kept cold for a really long time or is it something where they are warmer in the summer? Is the second situation is the case, I wouldn't be afraid of it nearly as much.

Let's say 1 degree a day is the safest way. Universally I think that is generally accepted.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 I would rather not move the cory parents. I'm just not use to seeing them so inactive. I thought maybe they were stressed and needed to be moved. Maybe warming the water will get them going.

@nabokovfan87 I fed the tank bbs the last several days because I hatched some for the flagfish that had been shipped. I don't see hydra. I 

I just used the end of a test strip to get some community plus out of the jar and sprinkled it over the air stone bubbles to circulate.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I just used the end of a test strip to get some community plus out of the jar and sprinkled it over the air stone bubbles to circulate.

With the fry, you'd basically do that once a day. If you don't have a lot of fry, then obviously a very very small amount.

They are mostly going to graze off the substrate and hardscape anyways.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:18 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I got the shrimp Dec 30th.  They have been around 68f temp wise. The seller said he had kept them in the lower 70s, and raised the temp to 77-78 to trigger breeding behavior

Yeah. So the shrimp should be fine at 70-72. Just go slow. Be cautious with it because they are new.

• Thanks 1