Aqadvisor makes me smile

Mr Gumby

As a general statement I quite like Aqadvisor, it gives a decent guide on temps, water parameters etc for new fish keepers

Out of curiosity I had a quick look what it thought of me moving my 8 chili rasbora into my new 15 gallon tank.

Now I know it doesn't account for plants but when it said I am 46% stocked I did have to double take.

Taking that statement to it's logical conclusion 16 to 17 chili rasbora would max out a 15 gallon tank!....really? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't know how it works in detail but from my previous tries I have noticed that the percentage calculation works a bit different than you assumed actually! To give it a try after you have mentioned that, I checked it for 15g without any filter selected, it shows 28 chili rasboras for 100% stocking level meanwhile it shows 46% for 8 chilis as you said. So it def have changing ratios of calculation based on each addition you make to the tank. Like it shows 36% stocking level for 10 pygmy cories in a 29 gallon tank, but 47 pygmys for stocking level 100% 😄

It sounds more accurate to calculate based on the overall stocking plans I guess.🙃

On 1/11/2023 at 8:10 PM, Lennie said:

I don't know how it works in detail but from my previous tries I have noticed that the percentage calculation works a bit different than you assumed actually! To give it a try after you have mentioned that, I checked it for 15g without any filter selected, it shows 28 chili rasboras for 100% stocking level meanwhile it shows 46% for 8 chilis as you said. So it def have changing ratios of calculation based on each addition you make to the tank. Like it shows 36% stocking level for 10 pygmy cories in a 29 gallon tank, but 47 pygmys for stocking level 100% 😄

It sounds more accurate to calculate based on the overall stocking plans I guess.🙃

Bizarre, so my plan of species only breeding tank has a lower stock level than a community tank....I think whoever built the database may have overlooked something there 🙂

I think it's useful for beginners, who don't have any frame of reference and also often have a tendency to want to both overstock a tank and put incompatible fish in it. I also still use it to double-check things like temperature and parameter compatibility. Like any tool, it's all in how you use it, but it's nice to hedge against overlooking something.

It's probably accounting for more than just bioload. Maybe there is an initial bioload because you should have a certain school size but then it goes down after that school size is reached. Like how a lot of people will give a rule of thumb of six tetras in ten gallons and then one more per gallon after that.

There also isn't a good way to account for plants. They are so variable. For instance, a plant in a low energy tank with no CO2 and low lights will have less impact than the same plant in a high energy setup.

• Like 2