Forktail Rainbowfish with Swim Bladder Issue?

AnsleyBleu

Has anyone experienced swim bladder issues with adult male Forktail Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil furcatus)? This guy has trouble swimming straight and it is progressing. I assume this is a swim bladder issue. He is over 1 year old.  I just fed, so that is the source of the "grains" in the water column in the photos.

I mainly feed easy fry food, but also feed freeze dried daphnia, occasional flake, and usually fresh bbs 1x/week.

29 gallon planted tank - 1972505525_Rainbow1.jpg.cc14dffec9c6ddbe403a6eac6be8463c.jpg2007069258_rainbow2.jpg.c3a12fac504f26a71cd15203440f6711.jpg1992477706_Aquarium1-2023.jpg.af0a99345436fb111a86fc5367823939.jpgI use easy green, extra potassium, and liquid carbonate ever week.

@colu - the condition has been progressing over a number of months. I test waters weekly and get around 10 nitrate, 0 nitrite, and typically do not test for ammonia. TDS is through the roof, and I add liquid carbonate to manage low KH. The tank is probably 3 or 4 years old now.

Edited by AnsleyBleu

The a couple of things that could be going on high levels of ammonia can damage fish's central nervous system  causing uncoordinated swimming or  swim bladder that can be caused bacterial infection of the swim bladder or by your fish over eating and the stomach putting pressure on the swim bladder or an injury to the swim bladder I would test your ammonia just in case something off you can try Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to relieve pressure on the swim bladder if it's injured it's swim bladder it's a case of wait and see sometimes they will improve over time or progressively get worse if it were a bacterial infection of the swim bladder it would have killed your fish by now  so I think you can rule that one out more than likely injured swim bladder from what your describing  @AnsleyBleu

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1