Brown algae in a seasoned tank?

Cinnebuns

This is my 10 gallon tank which houses blue neocaridina shrimp and panda cory eggs and young fry. It has been up and running about 9 months now. A few months ago I had an issue with brown algae. I assumed it was because shortly before then I added new sand into the tank. Some time and a couple of nerites cleaned it up. 

Just now I noticed it coming back. The sand has been in there about 3 months, maybe longer idk, so I doubt that's the issue. I know brown algae is from elevated phosphate levels. But where else would that be coming from?  I did recently add some plants to the tank after doing a bleach dip. Idk if that would contribute at all. 

In addition to knowing where the phosphate is coming from, I would like some feedback on what I have considered for solutions. 1.  I have a phosphate pad from ACO that I could wrap around 1 or both of the sponge filters and/or 2.  I could put a nerite snail in there again since it ate it the first time. 

So summary:

1. Where is the phosphate possibly coming from?

2.  Should I use the pad and/or nerite snail to solve?

It's hard to get a great pic of it because it appears on the glass. It's like brown splotches. 

20221227_234240.jpg

20221227_234249.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 12/27/2022 at 9:49 PM, Cinnebuns said:

1. Where is the phosphate possibly coming from?

In my case it was from plants having issues.  I believe the science behind it is that any organics (organic matter breaking down) left in the water will just raise up your phosphate levels).

Nerites or Otos or any sort of BN / RL pleco would go to town on that algae.  That's the most common type for any fish to graze on because it's so easy for them to do so.

I would just add a snail and let them handle it or a baby pleco or something if you have one of those to move.  Using the pads outside of a HoB setup isn't great and even when I was running them in mine it wasn't something where I saw it dramatically remove the phosphates.  It went from 3.0 down to 2.5 after going through 3 pads (in my case).  Most of it is usually just removed with water changes.

I think if you reduce the light intensity by 10-15%, you might see this stuff die off naturally also.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In my case it was from plants having issues.  I believe the science behind it is that any organics (organic matter breaking down) left in the water will just raise up your phosphate levels).

I am having a high phosphate issue in my 20H planted tank as well. I'm hopeful someone has a solution.  In my case, I have a low level of algae, mostly BBA that  I cannot seem to resolve.  I spot treat it to keep in under control but I'd like it to go away completely.  All the other water parameters are "good."  I've tried the following:

• Tested the tap water = 0 phosphate
  • Tidied up the plants
  • Large water changes 
  • Thorough gravel cleaning
  • Thorough filter cleaning
  • light for 6 hours at 50%  

My tank includes a clean-up crew (otos, amanos, nerite snails)   I still don't know where the phosphate is coming from!  Any ideas!

@Cinnebuns  Otos will clean up the brown algae in days.  They are amazing little fish.  

On 1/4/2023 at 12:40 PM, PaigeIs said:

I am having a high phosphate issue in my 20H planted tank as well. I'm hopeful someone has a solution.  In my case, I have a low level of algae, mostly BBA that  I cannot seem to resolve.  I spot treat it to keep in under control but I'd like it to go away completely.  All the other water parameters are "good."  I've tried the following:

• Tested the tap water = 0 phosphate
  • Tidied up the plants
  • Large water changes 
  • Thorough gravel cleaning
  • Thorough filter cleaning
  • light for 6 hours at 50%  

My tank includes a clean-up crew (otos, amanos, nerite snails)   I still don't know where the phosphate is coming from!  Any ideas!

In the substrate was there a lot of detritus.  What are your nitrates and light at?

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 1/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, Theplatymaster said:

my only question is, is it really a problem. Its my opinon that healthy tanks will have algae, and its impossible to get rid of. 

I have heard and it's also been my experience that brown algae will kill water column feeders. And it is killing them right now. I even had duckweed die to brown algae. Yes, some algae is fine but not all algae is equal. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:58 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I have heard and it's also been my experience that brown algae will kill water column feeders. And it is killing them right now. I even had duckweed die to brown algae. Yes, some algae is fine but not all algae is equal. 

Thats true, algae spikes, even in nature are disastrous. 

On 1/4/2023 at 2:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In the substrate was there a lot of detritus.  What are your nitrates and light at?

The nitrates were unusually high when I tested after the appearance of the algae but was never like that before. I think maybe this is because it's killing my water column feeders and so there is dead plant matter around. I plan to do a gravel vac today again. It's hard to do too much at once in this tank because of shrimp.