Bumps on whiteskirt tetras

Christine L

more information would be helpful what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate etc have you notice any aggression that could have caused these lumps how long have you had them when do you notice the first bump and how long before your other fish started showing the same symptoms @Christine L

I had my water tested and was told all the perameters were great. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a bump by the tail of my whiteskirt tetra, this week one has a bump by its mouth. They are 5-6 years old. This has not affected the blackskirt tetras which are the same age in the tank.It is a 60 gallon and I do a partial 1/3rd water change every other week. They are nippy with each other but nothing out of the ordinary. I did just purchase a bacteria treatment from the co op

I think it would be worth treating with maracyn or maracyn2 just in case there's a bacterial component these type of lumps can also be caused by a viral infection in that case the antibiotic treatment will help to provent secondary bacterial infection I would up you water changes to once a week for the next couple weeks and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes I would recommend getting some 5 in 1 test strips and ammonia test strips from the co-op to keep a closer eye on your water parameters during treatment @Christine L

• 2 weeks later...

The bacteria treatment did not work. They still have the bumps. Thank you for your help. Not sure I want to do any more treatments I do not have a hospital tank so needed to treat the 60 gallon. 

They are 5-6 years old. Nothing  has changed in the tank. Same fish only thing new was live plants that I purchase from the same supplier. Aquarium co-op. 

Peace

On 1/6/2023 at 10:55 PM, Christine L said:

The bacteria treatment did not work. They still have the bumps. Thank you for your help. Not sure I want to do any more treatments I do not have a hospital tank so needed to treat the 60 gallon. 

They are 5-6 years old. Nothing  has changed in the tank. Same fish only thing new was live plants that I purchase from the same supplier. Aquarium co-op. 

Peace

Looking at the symptoms and the fact you have seen no improvement after a course antibiotic medication I would leaning towards a viral infection  as you have live plants what you could try is Epsom salt baths 1 table for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days that can help to reduce the size of the lumps if you see no improvement after that I would just monitor them as long as there eating ok and active and they are showing no odd behavior