Is the ACO light right for my tank?

KittenFishMom

I want to know if the soon to be available ACO light is write for my tank? And if yes, which size(s) would be best?

I have a 55 gallon tank. The front corners are replaced with 45 degree angle glass. (see photo)

The dimensions are roughly (in inches):

2 light ports 21
length back 48
length front  35
front to bach 12
depth 21

I have done the substrate with potting soil and large size black sand cap. It is planted with a wide variety of plants some from shops, some from the lake. I don't use CO2. I do use IALs so there are some tannins in the water. The cover that came with the tank has 2 21 inch long light ports.  I also have a large piece corrugated plastic 24 x 28 inches in clear that I might might make into a cover more light can enter.

On Sunday(12/18), Cory talked about a video he made on Wednesday(12/14) about lights and PAR, but I can't find it on the ACO Youtube channel. Has anyone seen it? I want to watch it before I be lights for this tank. I would also like advice from the forum about what would work well. 

I attached photos of the tank below.

I have differents lights over the tank, which is why the color is strange.

322037030_55on12192022s.jpg.a4e6a7e200060ba0a7a5d7d41bd0c04a.jpg

I scooped out all the floating plants and monekied with the driftwood some for this photo. I'll get a better shot after dark:

268348166_tank12222022s.jpg.5235a35ed3c1bf40eff1b5791b12335b.jpg

The lid showing the light ports and feeding ports.

1595862758_lids.jpg.c7c63eccd0790f2d975ab3ab5037dda4.jpg

I the ACO light will be a good light. I didn’t see the video but I checked the site and am on the waiting list like a bunch of us are. I’m guess ing that you are getting 2 of the smaller ones and not the 48. The depth of your tank is deeper than most 55gals my 120 is 21”d and the 220 custom is 30, the 55 are 18”. The smaller lights are going to reach as deep as powerful. You tank does look like you have any high light carpeting plants. I think it will adequately light the tank and have plants grow well. I would personally cut out the whole area and replace the glass/plastic so I could use one light. The ACO will do very well. 
7F976D50-50F5-4D4A-9847-0048318292C8.png.361038c27f707ca380549006eb191033.pngI think it’s on par with the some finnex 24/7 models, with a much better warranty. I need a need light for one of my 55gals and think it will do what I need. Your issue is the 2 20” lights won’t reach as deep and the angle is going to be narrower than a 48 along the back. If you alter the existing window it looks like it would fit the 48”. I just I depends on if you are planning on changing the plants you have. If not I think 2 20” light will be fine same goes for it you modified the lid to the 48”. Lowe’s cuts glass and plexiglass to size if you go that way. 

Edited by rockfisher

On 12/22/2022 at 7:01 PM, rockfisher said:

I the ACO light will be a good light. I didn’t see the video but I checked the site and am on the waiting list like a bunch of us are. I’m guess ing that you are getting 2 of the smaller ones and not the 48. The depth of your tank is deeper than most 55gals my 120 is 21”d and the 220 custom is 30, the 55 are 18”. The smaller lights are going to reach as deep as powerful. You tank does look like you have any high light carpeting plants. I think it will adequately light the tank and have plants grow well. I would personally cut out the whole area and replace the glass/plastic so I could use one light. The ACO will do very well. 
7F976D50-50F5-4D4A-9847-0048318292C8.png.361038c27f707ca380549006eb191033.pngI think it’s on par with the some finnex 24/7 models, with a much better warranty. I need a need light for one of my 55gals and think it will do what I need. Your issue is the 2 20” lights won’t reach as deep and the angle is going to be narrower than a 48 along the back. If you alter the existing window it looks like it would fit the 48”. I just I depends on if you are planning on changing the plants you have. If not I think 2 20” light will be fine same goes for it you modified the lid to the 48”. Lowe’s cuts glass and plexiglass to size if you go that way. 

I wanted to add the extra features that the light I mentioned which I think ACO sells I don’t use most of the extras and use a Kasa timer on it . Xx

On 12/22/2022 at 7:20 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@rockfisher The lid is rather flimsy. I think cutting it might cause it to fall apart.  What would you replace the plastic/glass with?

I do not really think you would have to unless you have plans to really alter the plants to be high light intensity. I’m not sure about the price off the top of my head but you could use the 48 the way it is without cutting it out. If I was me I would build a all new top with a pieces of glass cut to fit. Then that cut from left to right to allow access to your tank. That’s in an ideal world. I replaced a rectangular top on 2 55gal with plexiglass and a hinge to allow access to the front or back of the tank. I suggested glass because I think it’s easier to clean. The plexiglass you may be able to cut on your own if you have the right tools. I do one my self and then had the other cut. The one I had cut is nicer. 

Edited by rockfisher