How do I know if my filter is too strong?

EnderRen

I feel like my aquaclear is to strong for my 10 gallon tank, and I am wondering if I am right. My plattys seem to favor one side of the tank much more than the other, and I was wondering if that is because of the flow. Don't they normally swim all over? If my flow is too much then how do I lessen it?

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 7:21 PM, Schuyler said:

The flow may be too high but it could also be something else going on. If the fish are new in the tank there could be some kind of stress making them act weird.

I think Girl Talks Fish on YouTube has a video about reducing flow:

https://youtu.be/GkzZKjcFzA4

I just put them in the tank today, so that might be it, but they are also just avoiding the center of the tank in general (where the filter is)

Also not to mention that I see it kinda blowing them around a bit.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:11 PM, EnderRen said:

I feel like my aquaclear is to strong for my 10 gallon tank, and I am wondering if I am right. My plattys seem to favor one side of the tank much more than the other, and I was wondering if that is because of the flow. Don't they normally swim all over? If my flow is too much then how do I lessen it?

If you can, record a video of the behavior.  It might be something where adjusting the water level or hardscape helps diffuse it better.  Often when water level is low, it's very direct and harsh.  Aquaclear's do have adjustment, but it's not very fine.  The adjustment is on the intake tube. 

Second to that I would recommend using a baffle from etsy.

What filter model are you running?  AC20 would work for anything 20G or lower without having "too much" flow.  Even for a betta it would be sufficient.  An AC30-50 would be what I use on a 20G and it wouldn't be "too much" flow, generally speaking.  For some fish it might be, like a betta.