Black algae?

BBlue

My plants 2 weeks old in tank. I started out with 5 hours a day and then went up to 6hrs. I did put my first treatment of easy green on Friday. I will say I did the recommended dose for low lights and after doing that on Friday now all this black stuff popped up. So I feel I might have put too much easy green right now and the algae is taking advantage of it. I did a 20% water change yesterday. Hoping that would help with the too much easy green? And of course my tiger bulb wanted to start to float again and ended up in a different spot in the tank. 😞
It was:     Nitrate 10,    Nitrite 1, PH 7.2, Ammonia 0. I  noticed yesterday my betas fins are rough around the edges and today he is swimming in circles a couple of times. So I am not sure what to do. My driftwood has something on it that I am worried on what it is. I tried to take a picture of what I am trying to explain I hope it helps. 

Today(picture): Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Hardness 300 (high for some reason?) PH 7.2, Ammonia 0

891D2D39-EE2B-42E3-AF37-EE75928299CB.jpeg

DF7B0154-18B0-4C16-874E-CB7B3502CBDE.jpeg

43343657-8569-4E27-AF71-CE63B7F90FAB.jpeg

4505B810-2D78-46BF-84F5-18208AC49D4A.jpeg

image.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 7:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

Don't panic yet! 😁 That looks like the biofilm that forms in a new tank. You can clean off with a toothbrush or just let it disappear over time.  You're on the right track, I wouldn’t change anything at this point, your tank look great! 

Thank you so much! Being a new plant and fish mom I am so worried about my fish making sure he is ok all the time. Lol Do you think he is ok with his fins looking like that a bit ragged and him spinning in circles?

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:38 PM, BBlue said:

Thank you so much! Being a new plant and fish mom I am so worried about my fish making sure he is ok all the time. Lol Do you think he is ok with his fins looking like that a bit ragged and him spinning in circles?

I'm not sure, but I bet someone with more Betta experience will speak up. Feel free to make a separate post if you want. 

In regards to the beta, the fins do look a little ragged but not horrible. Keep your water quality up and stay on top of maintenance and water changes. You will want to keep a "clean" tank in order for the fins to heal. If the fins do not appear to be healing after a few weeks and appear to be getting worse, you might try treating with some maracyn to assist with ridding the bacteria causing fin rot. I wouldn't use the meds though unless the problem appears to getting worse. A lot times, betas fins will clear up and come back when they are kept in good quality water.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

If it were me with your KH that low id be concerned. KH that low can lead to drastic drops in your ph, which isn't good for your fish. Please dont read this and have a knee jerk reaction, but IF IT WERE ME (advanced technique, use with caution) id sprinkle some baking soda (not much, just a tiny pinch spaced 15m~30m a part) on top of the water, this will build your KH quickly, buffering the water till your crushed coral has time to desolve. 

Edited by JoeQ
Added warning

Edit; also with the swimming in circles, this COULD be a sign of stress. Intrestlingly enough,  if you reach into the bottom of the tank and you feel a acidic burning feel, this is most likely whats going on acids are eating away at your ph because of low KH

I second the baking soda. I’ve used it in my tanks because I have super soft water. As long as you only add a little, you’ll be fine. Take a cup of water out of your tank, mix in maybe 1/16 tsp of baking soda in it, and then pour it back in. If you want to be extra cautious, pour it in bit by bit over an hour. Then re-test your water and see how the buffer looks. You want it to be at least a little green. It doesn’t have to be all the way at 40, but at least half way there would be nice! 😁 You can repeat the baking soda dose if the first didn’t get you there.

Your tank looks awesome!

• Like 1

@HobbitI was actually forced into trying BS as a last ditch effort to save my angel fish,  who went from eagerly begging for food, to sulking on the bottom of the tank... I now do it regularly on account of high gh, low kh issues.  Along with banning wood from my aquarium which IN MY EXPERIENCE only exasperats the issue. In full disclosure my wood was old so maybe it was breaking down faster than a new piece

• Sad 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I do want to chime in and say, do be careful with baking soda dosing, as baking soda is a means of fish euthanasia.  It is an alternative to clove oil.  I have successfully used baking soda to put down a suffering fish.

☝️ with this in mind there is a huge difference in a amount used to buffer your water, and the amount used to euthanize a fish