Thick lipped gourami eating blackbeard algae?

TheBlueBeetle

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has seen it, my two sunset thick lipped gouramis appear to be snacking on BBA. I don’t have anything in my tank that is supposed to eat it. I’ve had small patches on top of this stump ( I assume it’s because it’s close to the light) and on the edges of a few plants. I got the two gouramis about a month ago and it has significantly thinned out. They are constantly picking at it as in the pic. Who knew?

8B38EC0D-07BD-4717-84C3-A1746867C756.png

• Like 1

Well... Was it treated with something to cause the red coloration? Usually it's a sign that it's dying off, might be why you're seeing the snacking.

I have heard it could be red because it's thriving under bright light? I've seen mine turn red/gray a few times. I've also seen it green, silver, and iridescent when it's doing well under very bright light.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Well... Was it treated with something to cause the red coloration? Usually it's a sign that it's dying off, might be why you're seeing the snacking.

I have heard it could be red because it's thriving under bright light? I've seen mine turn red/gray a few times. I've also seen it green, silver, and iridescent when it's doing well under very bright light.

Well I hope it’s dying! It looks more black in person though.

• Thanks 1