Correlation between fertilization and "green house" smell?

JoeQ

I know the musty organic smell can indicate Cyno bacteria (blue green algea), but how bout when it isnt? Does anyone have an idea what is going on when you get that fresh green house smell? And can this smell occur, or be corrected through fertilization? 

• Like 1

i found that cleaning around the upper rim can make a difference. a lot of moldy gunk can grow up in the rim of a glass tank, another reason i love the few acrylic tanks i have.

try a wet paper towel for the first wipe, then a q-tip dipped in peroxide up in the rim area

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:01 AM, JoeQ said:

Does anyone have an idea what is going on when you get that fresh green house smell? And can this smell occur, or be corrected through fertilization? 

I don't know what a "fresh greenhouse" smells like. Maybe the garden section at a big box store?

I have had "smells" from food, from nitrates, and from things like the above post mentioned, algae (and other muck) on the lid and rim.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 11/28/2022 at 2:11 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't know what a "fresh greenhouse" smells like. Maybe the garden section at a big box store?

I have had "smells" from food, from nitrates, and from things like the above post mentioned, algae (and other muck) on the lid and rim.

The "fresh green house" smell is hard to explain unless you have smelt it. The big box store is more sweet and flower-ey IMO.. Try to imagine less flower and more of a non descript new growth scent.. Try to imagine the smell of the color green! I'm almost positive it has something to do with fertilizer build-up, maybe from running into a lack of a needed nutrient since it seems correlate with, and clears up by fertilization. If it occurs again I also need to see what affect aeration has on it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

I was going to say it smells a bit like a locker room.  I get whiffs of it occasionally.  I've cleaned green algae off my glass lid. Is that green stuff cyno?

Great question @JoeQ I didn't even know I had the same question till you asked.  I just thought it was a normal thing

Yes, that green stuff is Cyno, you can see a nice clump in this 10g algea cleanup journal I did.  The smell ranges anywhere from a "earthy" smell to a rotten smell. I'm kind of leaning towards (in my case) the smell being from some bacteria (young cyno) in my substrate? Which is leaching nitrogen,  that might explain my inability to easily keep my nitrates above 10ppm.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, BAT said:

It’s not like the fishy smell of a wharf is it?

No its a green house smell but it does correlate with my fertilization routine. 

• Thanks 1