Quarantine question

smm333

On 11/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, smm333 said:

I just bought 4 platies and I have them in quarantine with medication to treat any possible issues. I'm super nervous because this is the most vulnerable time. Fingers crossed for healthy fish who can join my community tank in 4-6 weeks!

You do not need to qt them for that long, I would say 3-4 weeks is efficient enough but if you want to take it to be 100% sure that they are disease free thats your choice. Goodluck!

On 11/25/2022 at 9:46 PM, DiscusLover said:

You do not need to qt them for that long, I would say 3-4 weeks is efficient enough but if you want to take it to be 100% sure that they are disease free thats your choice. Goodluck!

I saw the time frame on a girl talks fish video. I'll see how they are doing in 4. Hopefully they will be happy and healthy! 🥰

• Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 9:17 PM, smm333 said:

I just bought 4 platies and I have them in quarantine with medication to treat any possible issues. I'm super nervous because this is the most vulnerable time. Fingers crossed for healthy fish who can join my community tank in 4-6 weeks!

Good luck.  The waiting is so hard, but it is always worth it to do it right.  I heard Cory, on a live stream (I think), say that the length of the quarantine could be tied to the value you place on your display tank.  If it is empty - you could QT in the display, but if you have fish you value, QT separate until you are sure they won't bring anything to your existing fish.  The more fish I have, the longer I QT, this hobby is building my patience.  😇

On 11/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, 1moretank said:

Good luck.  The waiting is so hard, but it is always worth it to do it right.  I heard Cory, on a live stream (I think), say that the length of the quarantine could be tied to the value you place on your display tank.  If it is empty - you could QT in the display, but if you have fish you value, QT separate until you are sure they won't bring anything to your existing fish.  The more fish I have, the longer I QT, this hobby is building my patience.  😇

I wouldn't risk any of my fish. I gave them in a bin - meds aren't always snail safe and all my tanks have mystery snail babies growing to trade size for my local fish store. The hardest part is not feeding them. My motherly instincts say feed them, but I am working on my patience. 😉

On 11/26/2022 at 1:01 PM, Pepere said:

I have three display tanks I am stocking.  

2, 29 gallons and a 20 high.

The first 29 is nearly fully stocked.

I have 3,10 gallon quarantine tanks in the basement.

I have been buying new fish every other week.

I log their status on my calendar on my tablet to keep it all straight.

The advantage is that I am transferring some fish to a display tank every other week which helps deal with the impatience and desire to add right off.

I wish I had that kind of space! I'd turn ot into a mini pet store, lol! My quarentiners are in a bin on my kitchen. I'm thankful for a husband that is patient with my fish addiction! 🤣