Bad Case of Fin Rot...I think

cbohn

My betta fish, Toby, has been showing signs of fin rot for weeks. I have tried various treatments, from aquarium salt to imagitarium bacteria infection remedies, but I can’t seem to help him. I recently started my first cycle of Jungle Fungus Clear and KanaPlex and I’m hoping that helps, but I’m skeptical because nothing has seemed to work so far.

When I do water testing I see that my waters ph and alkalinity are too high, but no amount of ph down seems to help. I’ve tired all that I can understand from my own research, but nothing is changing 

If anyone has any advice for how to reduce my ph/alkalinity and, or help with Toby’s fin rot, I would greatly appreciate it!

I can't believe I'm just now responding to this, Cory.  Thank you for your help, here are pictures of Toby when I first got him and how he looks currently as well as a picture of my water test strip.  According to my water, my water is very hard and the alkalinity and ph are too high. 

IMG_9548.jpg

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

Edited by cbohn

On 11/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, James Black said:

Try Macaryn i believe api makes this product

I will look into it.  If you or anyone else has any other recommendations I would greatly appreciate them!  My PH level is proving to be a significant issue in my tank maintenance as well, so if you have any recommendations beyond using PH Down by API, I'd love to hear them.  I've been using that brand since the beginning and my PH never seems to go down - at least not from what I can see from the test strips.

29 minutes ago, cbohn said:

I will look into it.  If you or anyone else has any other recommendations I would greatly appreciate them!  My PH level is proving to be a significant issue in my tank maintenance as well, so if you have any recommendations beyond using PH Down by API, I'd love to hear them.  I've been using that brand since the beginning and my PH never seems to go down - at least not from what I can see from the test strips.

Introducing some tanins will help decrease the PH (driftwood, almond leaves).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, James Black said:

Introducing some tanins will help decrease the PH (driftwood, almond leaves).

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have added both driftwood and almond leaves previously.  Unfortunately is caused some mold growth, so I had to do a deep clean yesterday.  I will try again with a different piece of driftwood and almond leaves.  I also use dark water almond leave extract, but that doesn't seem to help lower the ph as it just makes it more like Toby's natural habitat - I like that though, so I plan to keep using it regardless.

2 hours ago, cbohn said:

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have added both driftwood and almond leaves previously.  Unfortunately is caused some mold growth, so I had to do a deep clean yesterday.  I will try again with a different piece of driftwood and almond leaves.  I also use dark water almond leave extract, but that doesn't seem to help lower the ph as it just makes it more like Toby's natural habitat - I like that though, so I plan to keep using it regardless.

try Fritz PH Netrulizer, this will remove chlorine, chlorimine, amonia, and increase/ decrease the ph to 7.0 (if thats the number your going for)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Black said:

try Fritz PH Netrulizer, this will remove chlorine, chlorimine, amonia, and increase/ decrease the ph to 7.0 (if thats the number your going for)

I'll check it out!  Thank you for all of your help 🙂