Medicating Tucano Tetras, how delicate are they?

8spidersayear

On 11/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, 8spidersayear said:

if I wanted to medicate my replashy, I guess feeding it with levamisole or fenbendazole to it while the water is still full of levamisole iprobably a bad idea?

I wouldn't recommend dosing the tank and adding the medication to food you could over dose your fish

On 11/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, Colu said:

With salt you could start at 1 table spoon for 5 gallons and gradually increase over a couple of days to 1 table spoon for 2 gallons   You could try live baby brine micro worms or some repashy community blend @8spidersayear

if I don't see any improvement after 24 hrs with levamisole should I still wait several days before adding another dose like a lot of recommendations say?

On 11/16/2022 at 1:48 AM, 8spidersayear said:

if I don't see any improvement after 24 hrs with levamisole should I still wait several days before adding another dose like a lot of recommendations say?

Usually you treat once a week for three weeks with levamisole you can do a 50% water change and then run active carbon for 24hr and redose with levamisole if you do that I would still repeat the treatment once a week for the next two weeks for a Total of 4 rounds of levamisole 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:33 AM, Colu said:

Usually you treat once a week for three weeks with levamisole you can do a 50% water change and then run active carbon for 24hr and redose with levamisole if you do that I would still repeat the treatment once a week for the next two weeks for a Total of 4 rounds of levamisole 

should I treat more aggressively until they start swallowing food again?

On 11/16/2022 at 5:35 AM, 8spidersayear said:

should I treat more aggressively until they start swallowing food again?

I would follow the treatment i recommended and treat with paracleanse in between treating with levamisole it will cover most types of parasites from tapeworms round worms nematode worms it will give your fish the best possible chance of recovery 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:38 AM, Colu said:

I would follow the treatment i recommended and treat with paracleanse in between treating with levamisole it will cover most types of parasites from tapeworms round worms nematode worms it will give your fish the best possible chance of recovery 

if I notice more improvement when I dose the paracleanse than with the levamisole should I stick with the paracleanse?

On 11/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, 8spidersayear said:

if I notice more improvement when I dose the paracleanse than with the levamisole should I stick with the paracleanse?

I would still treat with both as the initial dose of levamisole could have  worked but you only start to see improvement a couple of days later when you have started treating with paracleanse 

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect

On 11/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, Colu said:

I would still treat with both as the initial dose of levamisole could have  worked but you only start to see improvement a couple of days later when you have started treating with paracleanse 

I guess I can't count on finding out which of the two meds really worked in case I want to treat the rest of my fish prophylacticly.

I've heard other people talk about how parasites like velvet or nematodes would be subclinical in their adult fish but kill off the fry. I think that might be what's happening to me.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:12 AM, 8spidersayear said:

I guess I can't count on finding out which of the two meds really worked in case I want to treat the rest of my fish prophylacticly.

I've heard other people talk about how parasites like velvet or nematodes would be subclinical in their adult fish but kill off the fry. I think that might be what's happening to me.

You could treat your other fish I would do two rounds and of paracleanse and two rounds of levamisole if going down this root 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, Colu said:

You could treat your other fish I would do two rounds and of paracleanse and two rounds of levamisole if going down this root 

I notice that when I remove the paracleanse from the water with carbon one of my fish that was eating stops eating again. This happened once when I dosed levamisole and another time now, I will dose paracleanse again this time to see what happens.

Yes, it seems like when I add paracleanse one of the fish starts to eat after a few hours, when I run carbon in the filter the fish stops eating after a few hours. I think this indicates that it might be hexamita or tapeworms.

Of course the other one has not been able to swallow anything this entire time. They both ignore replashy unfortunately. 

I don't know if I should experiment with feeding the healthier one metro in food, allowing too many gaps in treatment seems to be a good way to allow the disease agent to build up resistance.

Edited by 8spidersayear

I still think the best treatment option is to treat with  levamisole and   paracleanse odd random deaths often happen when you have a parasitic in infection this cover against a broad range of parasites when you have finished you course of paracleanse I would then do a course of levamisole and then follow up the paracleanse then repeat the levamisole  then follow again with paracleanse and levamisole 

Edited by Colu

On 11/22/2022 at 7:35 AM, Colu said:

I still think the best treatment option is to treat with  levamisole and   paracleanse odd random deaths often happen when you have a parasitic in infection this cover against a broad range of parasites when you have finished you course of paracleanse I would then do a course of levamisole and then follow up the paracleanse then repeat the levamisole  then follow again with paracleanse and levamisole 

the paracleanse is more encouraging so far but I will follow up with levamisole. My moina culture was finally successful enough to feed out so I tried some on the tucanos and both were able to eat. I notice that the healthy one constantly chases the less healthy one from the food. Idk if based on this I should try to feed medicated frozen cyclops or baby brine or to separate them so the less healthy one can recover.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:35 AM, Colu said:

Paracleanse in the water seems to be the only thing that will get them to swallow food but it is not enough to cure them completely. I am considering medicating the water and the food at the same time but I am afraid of overdosing. It might become my only option if this keeps up.

When I consider medicating my non symptomatic fish I am considering using straight metro instead of paraguard for my loaches and corys because I've heard they are sensitive. It's hard to decide because info on what species are sensitive to what medications is very contradictory.

Edited by 8spidersayear

On 11/30/2022 at 4:23 AM, 8spidersayear said:

Paracleanse in the water seems to be the only thing that will get them to swallow food but it is not enough to cure them completely. I am considering medicating the water and the food at the same time but I am afraid of overdosing. It might become my only option if this keeps up.

When I consider medicating my non symptomatic fish I am considering using straight metro instead of paraguard for my loaches and corys because I've heard they are sensitive. It's hard to decide because info on what species are sensitive to what medications is very contradictory.

Paracleanse and metroplex are fine to use with Cory's and loach 

On 11/30/2022 at 7:47 AM, Colu said:

Paracleanse and metroplex are fine to use with Cory's and loach 

also quick question in case you know, are capillaria eggs visible under an extremely simple and cheap light microscope. (says 40x)

I am asking this because the sicker looking tucano tetras defecated and I decided to collect a sample.  This does seem to b the question given I've only seen this fish eat something without spitting it out a couple of times.

Edited by 8spidersayear

On 11/30/2022 at 11:16 PM, 8spidersayear said:

also quick question in case you know, are capillaria eggs visible under an extremely simple and cheap light microscope. (says 40x)

I am asking this because the sicker looking tucano tetras defecated and I decided to collect a sample.  This does seem to b the question given I've only seen this fish eat something without spitting it out a couple of times.

If I remember rightly capillaria eggs should be visible under x100 magnification 

On 12/1/2022 at 11:39 PM, 8spidersayear said:

Do you personally bother with microscopes? I think X100 might be doable with the type that clips on to a smartphone camera.

I have a x1000 microscope I haven't used the clip on phone microscope from what I have read they should be fine for what you need it for 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...