Dwarf sagittaria carpets

Hello all,

I’ve been trying to grow in a dwarf sag carpet but I have been struggling to keep it short. 

Would a better light keep it shorter?
I currently run a nicrew light on a 12 inch tall tank. Does anyone have any parr data for these lights for comparison to the fluval 3.0?

Has anyone had any luck in training dwarf sag to stay short? I had read that was possible with some stem plants. If it’s possible how many times would you expect to cut it down before it starts to work?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Heres a picture of the tank in question.

E5EC3D4E-4D5C-4CB4-9E62-034162C524FD.jpeg.188bae2cd0aa95da656e2956b1da065c.jpeg

-Adam

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, Adam Swarbrick said:

Hello all,

I’ve been trying to grow in a dwarf sag carpet but I have been struggling to keep it short. 

Would a better light keep it shorter?
I currently run a nicrew light on a 12 inch tall tank. Does anyone have any parr data for these lights for comparison to the fluval 3.0?

Has anyone had any luck in training dwarf sag to stay short? I had read that was possible with some stem plants. If it’s possible how many times would you expect to cut it down before it starts to work?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Heres a picture of the tank in question.

E5EC3D4E-4D5C-4CB4-9E62-034162C524FD.jpeg.188bae2cd0aa95da656e2956b1da065c.jpeg

-Adam

I've found that having the patience to trim it usually works best. Love the look of your tank!!

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s kind of a misnomer to call it “dwarf” since it gets so tall in an aquarium. Yours look great, and it’s worth a try to give it some more intense light. I’m not sure which Nicrew you have but in my experience the Fluval 3.0 is considerably more powerful than the Nicrews. 

Thanks Patrick,

I’m not sure which it is either I’ve had it since I started the hobby a few years back. At the time I just needed something cheap.

What size would be recommended for a 20 long?

Would you guys be worried about algae if I used the 3.0?

-Adam