leucistic guppies?

AnotherHumanPerson

About three months ago, my solo female guppy, big momma, gave birth to approx. 15 fry. I noticed that a few of them were all white, where the rest of the fry were the same color as big momma. With some quick googling, I came upon the conclusion that they were at a different stage of development. However, time passed, and all of the fry have reached maturity, and the all white ones are still all white. They don’t have the red eyes like that of albinos, and the white males have similar patterning to the regular males. I was thinking that maybe they could be leucistic. Does anyone have any experience with this?

(sorry for the blurry photos, my “new gen” Iphone struggles at taking aquarium photos 🙃)21217AD9-91E1-4641-8958-3737E3C498EC.jpeg.d1250ecd8fedf962d0a7394ff26ba474.jpeg181F599A-86CA-45D1-8212-B8CD4DDCFBBF.jpeg.b311caa45bf7fac698b856a3ebd9e910.jpegAE798EF7-EE74-4021-819C-F30A74BD7BEE.jpeg.fec555323f0996209422bd2f46fa5f20.jpeg

This female looks quite similar to the females of the Moscow Snow White guppies to me! The males are a true opaque white but the females are a little more see-through with some iridescent white on the tail. None have the tell-tale red albino eyes. Do you happen to know the genes/line of the guppies these came from? If they came from Moscow's I'd say perhaps you're on the gene track to some snow whites!

On 11/4/2022 at 11:45 PM, itsfoxtail said:

This female looks quite similar to the females of the Moscow Snow White guppies to me! The males are a true opaque white but the females are a little more see-through with some iridescent white on the tail. None have the tell-tale red albino eyes. Do you happen to know the genes/line of the guppies these came from? If they came from Moscow's I'd say perhaps you're on the gene track to some snow whites!

Interestingly, the males are just as see through as the females! 

The og female was from my sister’s class tank. Supposedly, there were no males in the tank. Knowing how schools are funded here, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were just feeder guppies 😅

On 11/5/2022 at 3:45 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Spoilsport!😉

It looks a tad yellow to me, but you could breed them true if you got a Snow White.

Huh, I never noticed the yellow, but I guess it is there. I am kinda tempted to set them up a tank. 

On 11/5/2022 at 7:42 AM, AnotherHumanPerson said:

Interestingly, the males are just as see through as the females! 

The og female was from my sister’s class tank. Supposedly, there were no males in the tank. Knowing how schools are funded here, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were just feeder guppies 😅

Huh, I never noticed the yellow, but I guess it is there. I am kinda tempted to set them up a tank. 

You can definitely find some real gems in feeder guppies! Most are just mutts but every once in a while one with some awesome genes slips in. Yellow in the female wouldn't surprise me at all. Male Snow Whites have a bright yellow nose and while females are indeed pretty see-through, there's definitely more of a yellow hint on their face and front end of their body. I'd say you're probably several gens (and a lot of culls) away from true Snow Whites but it would most definitely be a fun project to start! I would definitely stay tuned to see what happens!

Maybe it's the lighting but those look like the females and young uncolored males of my ginga sulphureus guppies. The females are solid yellow, with no dark gravid spot. Once they have fry, the gravid spot is peach colored and only looks dark at all from the babies' eyes, otherwise these ladies stay all yellow their whole lives.

The males stay solid yellow until after their gonopodium develops and then very gradually get orange spots on their torso, followed by white and/or pale blue/green speckles on the caudal fin and then even later by pink or red spots on the torso. Full coloration on the males takes longer than six months--six months is about when the orange spots show up on some of them, and I've seen them keep adding to their color for at least a year.

I don't mean to suggest your guppies are the same as mine, only that if they have traits in common, it might take a similarly long time for males to show their colors.

Here are mine:

1259919551_IMG_0616(1).jpg.8a0e19ef50d345915de0b3b64658c3b0.jpg1703910816_IMG_0618(3).jpg.db83d4e296d6784c62b2375f0fc580d1.jpg

On 11/6/2022 at 10:26 AM, PineSong said:

Maybe it's the lighting but those look like the females and young uncolored males of my ginga sulphureus guppies. The females are solid yellow, with no dark gravid spot. Once they have fry, the gravid spot is peach colored and only looks dark at all from the babies' eyes, otherwise these ladies stay all yellow their whole lives.

The males stay solid yellow until after their gonopodium develops and then very gradually get orange spots on their torso, followed by white and/or pale blue/green speckles on the caudal fin and then even later by pink or red spots on the torso. Full coloration on the males takes longer than six months--six months is about when the orange spots show up on some of them, and I've seen them keep adding to their color for at least a year.

I don't mean to suggest your guppies are the same as mine, only that if they have traits in common, it might take a similarly long time for males to show their colors.

Here are mine:

1259919551_IMG_0616(1).jpg.8a0e19ef50d345915de0b3b64658c3b0.jpg1703910816_IMG_0618(3).jpg.db83d4e296d6784c62b2375f0fc580d1.jpg

Those females look spot on, and (maybe this is a bit of confirmation bias?) some of my regular males appear to have some of the traits of the male ginga sulphureus guppy (namely the colors on the lyretail). I guess I’ll have to wait a bit to see any more similarities.

• Like 1