A trouble with dwarf cichlid health after spawning

MAC

In the last month or so 3 separate species of dwarf cichlids have developed similar symptoms immediately following a spawning attempt. 

These are fish I've had for quite some time and all three pairs have had previously spawned without issue. They were in the same tanks as those occasions. 

All the females seem to develop a rapid onset of Popeye, stop eating and very quickly deteriorate. In one case the male had identical symptoms, in one case the male only developed clamped fins and hid away, and in the other case the male went on as if nothing wrong. 

All fish have their own tanks without tank mates, live plants, and numerous caves/spawnsites. I did not see aggression between the pairs. And I try to regularly vary the diet between live/frozen/prepared foods.

Tanks: Apistogramma borelli, 10 gallon. 74°fPXL_20221104_204655969_MP.jpg.bb6948ac0add3191e37262f128904299.jpg

Nannacara anomela, 55 gallons, 76°fPXL_20221104_203033617_MP.jpg.d755a18d64c561ff8910ae5c08aac483.jpg

Pelvicachromis taeniatus 30 gallon,76°fPXL_20221104_203213209_MP.jpg.1663068aceba3f7eb2a170549ca7ffd1.jpg

Image is current krib female with recently developed symptoms. Right now everyone but the krib are in hospital receiving para cleanse and maracyn. Female apisto died today after 1 week of treatment. Nannacara pair symptoms not improved after 3 weeks hospital and 1 round meds plus salt. Krib to begin treatment. PXL_20221104_205744862_MP.jpg.b68fd076c577bfb8b6da5ddd8087832e.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on what is going on? Ideas to prevent or diagnosis/treatment that'd be great. I think it's very strange this all happening at once. I'm usually pretty good at not cross contaminating tanks and these are spread between different area of house. 

First have you tested for ammonia and do you use a dechlorinator when doing water changes and have added anything new to the tanks recently do you share nets between tanks have you notice any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness sunken belly's spitting out food @MAC

@Colu,yes I forgot to include ammonia. That's the first thing I test when something seems off. Each tank reads zero ammonia with liquid kits. 

I'm also on a well so there is no chlorine in my water. As for nets I have many and they all go into saltwater after use and then rinsed and dried completely before resuse. 

In all three occasions the fish appeared fine. Acting and eating normal. Courtship displays and then the female would disappear into her cave or in the nannacara's case a corner of the tank with eggs. 

Then days later when I would expect to see the female with free swimming fry they have been bug eyed and rapidly losing health. 

The only thing I have done differently recently is throughout the summer I maintained a tote solely to harvest mosquito larva. Every aquarium was fed from that tote so it would be off if something only bothered the spawning cichlids. 

On 11/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, Colu said:

Is it possible your well water could have been contaminated just thinking outside of the box 

I wondered about that too. There's over 20 other aquariums that get the same water with fish, shrimp, snails etc all doing great. Angelfish aren't haven't any trouble spawning either. 

I don't know, I'm perplexed. I figure there's some bacteria or something that for whatever reason is able to get a foothold after a spawn. Was curious if anyone had ever heard of such a thing. It's really doing a number on my winter breeding projects. 

On 11/4/2022 at 11:05 PM, MAC said:

I wondered about that too. There's over 20 other aquariums that get the same water with fish, shrimp, snails etc all doing great. Angelfish aren't haven't any trouble spawning either. 

I don't know, I'm perplexed. I figure there's some bacteria or something that for whatever reason is able to get a foothold after a spawn. Was curious if anyone had ever heard of such a thing. It's really doing a number on my winter breeding projects. 

If you other tanks are ok i think you could rule out contamination of your well water with the symptoms your fish have I would recommend treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such as kanaplex and add some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will help reduce any possible fluid buildup the eye  you could also add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties @MAC

• Thanks 1