Indian Mudskipper Acclimation

Dan S

So in a few days, I should be getting some Indian Mudskippers and realize that they may have special acclimation requirements. Am I just stressing over nothing or is that an actual thing? @Zenzo I watched your video on when you got your mudskippers and didn't see how you acclimated them. Just the regular drip method or something else? Thanks in advance!

• Administrators
On 10/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, Dan S said:

So in a few days, I should be getting some Indian Mudskippers and realize that they may have special acclimation requirements. Am I just stressing over nothing or is that an actual thing? @Zenzo I watched your video on when you got your mudskippers and didn't see how you acclimated them. Just the regular drip method or something else? Thanks in advance!

When I receive them, I usually just put them in a tank that's shallow and has either floating islands or already setup for them. I keep the specific gravity/salinity a little low for the first few days, slowly raising it to where I want it. Other than that, pretty easy. 

On 10/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, Zenzo said:

When I receive them, I usually just put them in a tank that's shallow and has either floating islands or already setup for them. I keep the specific gravity/salinity a little low for the first few days, slowly raising it to where I want it. Other than that, pretty easy. 

Alright, that sounds good! I did have another question since I didn't make the initial one specific enough: how did you acclimate the mudskippers when they are in the bag? I know they are notorious climbers so you cant keep the bag open. Also, if the bag doesn't come with a small piece of Styrofoam for them to sit on, should I add one while acclimating or will they be fine otherwise?

• Administrators
On 10/27/2022 at 6:32 PM, Dan S said:

Alright, that sounds good! I did have another question since I didn't make the initial one specific enough: how did you acclimate the mudskippers when they are in the bag? I know they are notorious climbers so you cant keep the bag open. Also, if the bag doesn't come with a small piece of Styrofoam for them to sit on, should I add one while acclimating or will they be fine otherwise?

"plop and drop"

No acclimation other than temp.

Yes, always have a way in which they can get out of the water. If the conditions are not ideal, they will "breathe" while out of the water. At least one land area big enough for each skipper.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, Zenzo said:

"plop and drop"

No acclimation other than temp.

Yes, always have a way in which they can get out of the water. If the conditions are not ideal, they will "breathe" while out of the water. At least one land area big enough for each skipper.

Sounds good, thank you again!