Betta Pineconing and Red Sore on Face

honeydew

Hi all,

I don’t have exact water parameters to share, but I know they aren’t the issue here because I test consistently, generally have good parameters, and I have shrimp breeding in the tank, so it can’t be that bad, right…

I’m posting because yesterday I tried feeding my betta, and she went for the food but kept spitting it out, which never happens. Recently, she’s been sleeping a lot in the same spot, but I didn’t think much of it because she’s always been fond of this particular spot. Upon closer inspection I noticed she had some pineconing, so I immediately ordered Kanaplex and have since given her two epsom salt baths. The photo attached is her in her salt bath right now.

About the red sore on her face: she’s had it for a very long time. This photo is a week or two old. One day I woke up to her with a cut on her face, assumed she ran into something in the tank, and tried helping it with Stress Guard. The sore closed up, but it never fully healed, seeing as she still has a red spot on her face.

I’m not sure if her pineconing and red sore correlate, but I’ve done so much research trying to find information on it, just to come up with nothing. I know the pineconing doesn’t look great, but I want to do my best to help her. She still has the drive to eat, but can’t keep the food down, so I like to think she has some fight left in her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

AFD06E7C-2F66-44D3-8A5F-EF8933A7B28A.jpeg

8EA397E7-17CD-407F-92D7-482AD2DA6630.jpeg

• Sad 1

With pineconing your more than likely dealing with dropsy the most effective treatment I have found is kanaplex in food to treat any possible internal bacteria infection metroplex to treat the tank as it treats aeromonas bacteria a common cause of dropsy and salt that will help reduce some of the fluid buildup @honeydew

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

@Colu Hi, thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, as much as she tries to eat, she can’t seem to keep anything down. She’ll spit everything back up right after trying to eat it, so I don’t know if a food medication is the best course of action.