Would an Oscar live happily in an 90 gallon for most of is life or should I chose I different stocking option.

MichaelL710

Hello I would like some advice on stocking a 90 gallon aquarium. I have been in the aquarium hobby for close to 3 years  and have learned a lot and currently have 6 tanks.  I have been thinking that it might be time to start getting some large aquariums. The biggest tank i own is a 40 gallon aquarium. One of the first fish i saw when I started was an oscar. Ever since I wanted one for the longest time and I have a perfect place currently for an 90 gallon aquarium. I been doing research online and saw most people have been saying an 75 gallon up to 12 gallonaquarium is the minimum tank size. I was wondering if one oscar would be happy In an 90 gallon for most of it's life or should I would wait until I have enough space for an 125 gallon tank, wich is 6ft long. If so I was thinking maybe a severum instead or anything else you guys could come up. Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, MichaelL710 said:

Hello I would like some advice on stocking a 90 gallon aquarium. I have been in the aquarium hobby for close to 3 years  and have learned a lot and currently have 6 tanks.  I have been thinking that it might be time to start getting some large aquariums. The biggest tank i own is a 40 gallon aquarium. One of the first fish i saw when I started was an oscar. Ever since I wanted one for the longest time and I have a perfect place currently for an 90 gallon aquarium. I been doing research online and saw most people have been saying an 75 gallon up to 12 gallonaquarium is the minimum tank size. I was wondering if one oscar would be happy In an 90 gallon for most of it's life or should I would wait until I have enough space for an 125 gallon tank, wich is 6ft long. If so I was thinking maybe a severum instead or anything else you guys could come up. Thanks for any input.

In my opinion, it could work. I would always prefer 1,000+ different options before an Oscar. But “to every keeper, their fish.” 😎

On 10/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, MichaelL710 said:

I had my oscars decades ago - and they really are water puppies! I didn't know a fish could pout until I had my oscars. Back in the dark ages when I had them, people kept them in much smaller tanks than are suggested today. So the haters will want to come at me when I say I had one each in two 55s, which hobbyists told me was ok at that time. 55s were big tanks to most us in those days. They lived happily for years and even had friends they didn't bully (silver dollars for one, a green severum for the other). 

If I were to do it today, I'd probably opt for a 90 - nice and deep, plenty of room to turn around. They aren't like rainbows or similar that are active ALL THE TIME and want a super long tank to be happy. You could probably do a 75 as well - filtration is important as has been mentioned. I'd probably go for a canister today, I used HOBs back then. I wish I had coop heaters back then, as one would always attack the heater when the red light came on - the cage is a nice feature. 

A lot of folks here seem to be more nano fish, and I've got plenty of those. But my oscars will always be a favorite, even if they destroyed every plant I attempted. Just get some nice silk ones.

• Love 1

While I think he'd be personally fine, I think a 125 is a better option, as I have seen my Oscar's behavior change when going from a 4 foot to a 6 foot tank. He seems much happier, and takes time to briskly cruise the length of the tank back and forth, usually after a meal. It's nice to see a big, girthy fish swim at a pretty quick pace.  I did not see that same behavior in the 4 foot tank.

A 6 footer also gives more room to create some varied simple scapes, which creates some stimuli for the Oscar. They are curious fish as well. 

• Like 1