Where do you vacation as a hobbyist?

mynameisnobody

Hello all, I live in Parrish, FL. As far as freshwater aquarium stores, they’re basically non existent. I have 1 local store which is pretty well stocked. I also have a ton of farms (I tend to prefer buying quality stock, so this can be difficult at times. You also do not have the luxury of seeing the species in an aquarium.)

I moved here 2 years ago from NYC. The freshwater aquarium stores in NYC, specifically Queens had spoiled me rotten. I have since become an online fish shopper which has tons of benefits. With the amount of research I do, it’s safe to say that the only down side eventually became that I miss the brick and mortar experience. Question is, what pockets of America do you find the largest saturation of freshwater aquarium stores? We have a week long vacation and I’d like to plan around this very question. Stipulation is I’d have to be within 1 weeks driving distance back and forth. It would be very convenient for this to be in Georgia or Louisiana, but alls I know is, it definitely isn’t Florida. (I am aware of a few store in the state, but they are extremely few and far in between).

Please help me plan our vacation. 😎 

Thank you kindly. 

On 10/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, Kalopsia said:

@billango noted. I do have 2 fish clubs that I attend, however I’m still missing that feeling of not knowing what you’d like to add to your aquariums, however am confident that no matter what you end up with, it’ll be really cool. I wish Aquarium Coop was drivable but it may as well be a million miles away. 

Lucky for me I'm actually very close to aquarium co-op and have a couple other solid lfs options as well. Excited for the new store expansion!

The Seattle area is pretty good. We have Aquarium co-op, a very nice ADA dealer and a bunch of decent LFS. We also have giant snow covered volcanoes, chains of tree lined islands in an inland sea, beautiful rocky beaches and great food from lots of different cultures.

We have two seasons, Rain and August so come in August 😁

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, Patrick_G said:

The Seattle area is pretty good. We have Aquarium co-op, a very nice ADA dealer and a bunch of decent LFS. We also have giant snow covered volcanoes, chains of tree lined islands in an inland sea, beautiful rocky beaches and great food from lots of different cultures.

I so miss living in Seattle and on Bainbridge Island.  I still listen to KEXP everyday and pretend I'm local.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:43 PM, Patrick_G said:

I so miss living in Seattle and on Bainbridge Island.  I still listen to KEXP everyday and pretend I'm local.

• Like 1

I can only tell you that Kentucky is not worth the trip for LFS. I do like Monfort Aquarium in Cincinatti but mostly for the old school vibe and great wood prices, I haven't been there looking for particular fish to know whether they're a great source but they may be.

The places I'd like to combine the hobby with travel are all far away from me: I would like to go to south Fla to see the farms around Miami, and would like to go to San Francisco so I can see Ocean's Aquarium in real life. Of course, in both Florida and San Fran there are other great reasons to travel there, so it would be an add-on, not the sole reason to go. Maybe I need to add Queens, NYC to that list 🙂 

@PineSong I am about 3 hours away from the South Florida farms and I’ve been to quite a few of them. There is only 1 I’d recommend as the others have been ransacked and were basically empty every time I went. As for Ocean Aquarium, that and aquarium coop are the bucket list places to visit in this country. I was hoping people in Georgia, Louisiana, Texas would chime in. 

• Like 1