some fish store Items I would like to see

KittenFishMom

Not sure this belongs in this thread, but it could be some experiments for a fish store.

Bottled used fish tank water for houseplants. It could draw a bunch of non-fishy people into the store, and they could get hooked on planted indoor or patio ponds. I don't know what fish stores do with what is cleaned out of their sumps, but I am sure plants would love it, and it would be eco friendly, maybe even organic? The stores has the product, just needs bottles and labels, or to reduce overhead, have people fill they containers from a clearly labeled tap. Maybe sell by weight or volume or give it away, to get them in the store. Signs up front, tap in the back of the store.

Small floating planters for forcing spring flower bulbs on top of fish tanks. (Maybe an option for the top of an HOB with a wick to the water?) You could make something like they have for hydroponics, but not so deep. You could even sell "pre chilled bulbs" that have to be chilled a certain number of days before they will bloom. You could also sell floating rings in different sizes for plant cuttings like Pothos or Swedish ivy or my favorite nitrogen hog, whole turnips. (turnip roots are so pretty)

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Bottled used fish tank water for houseplants

Very niche market, and the average person inside a fish store already has an aquarium.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:51 PM, KittenFishMom said:

You could also sell floating rings in different sizes for plant cuttings

That would be very useful!

@TheSwissAquarist I was thinking that the bottled fish water could be advertised/ marketed to folks that don't have an aquarium, but do have plants. It would get them to venture into the fish store for the water for their plants, and get them hooked on aquarium plants and fish.

P.S. Do you ever sleep? You seem to be on the forum day and night. It is great to see a high school student interested in something other than video games. 

On 10/20/2022 at 6:49 AM, KittenFishMom said:

@TheSwissAquarist I was thinking that the bottled fish water could be advertised/ marketed to folks that don't have an aquarium, but do have plants. It would get them to venture into the fish store for the water for their plants, and get them hooked on aquarium plants and fish.

P.S. Do you ever sleep? You seem to be on the forum day and night. It is great to see a high school student interested in something other than video games. 

It’s 6:53 in the morning over here, and it is quite annoying when other teenagers just play video games and only speak Minecraft.

I expect the bottled water venture could be doable in a garden centre…

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Bottled used fish tank water for houseplants.

There is liquid fertilizer for house plants out there. I check the ingredients for one, 12% nitrogen. Assuming fish tank water is 40 ppm nitrate, and nitrate is 23% nitrogen, that would make the fertilizer 13000 times more potent than fish tank water. If someone sold you a gallon of fish tank water for a penny, theyd be ripping you off.

i think the Swiss style aquariums are very heavily planted, with fewer fish and hardscape.

Just a note, Your American English is very good. I thought you lied here.

I don't know much about snow capped mountains, but Swiss chocolate is wonderful !

Maybe you could make a volcano with an uplift tube carrying white sand to the top. Sort of like a sand waterfall.

• Like 1

@Scapexghost OK, give the fish water away, to get the people who wouldn't go in the store normally to go in the store. It is easy to burn plants with strong fertilizer, fish water is very safe and easy to use.  No need to measure or mix or count drops. you just water the plants with it and they grow like crazy. It is pretty fool proof and a lot of people like that.

Oh, any long clear plastic tube you could seal with you finger or thumb should work.

Maybe a chunk of syphon hose taped to something stiff. Your finger would hold the air in the tube while you place it over the detritus, when you release your finger,the air would rush out and the water and whatever would rush in. Then replace your finger to seal the tube and lift it out of the tank. Hardware stores sell all sizes of flexible plastic tubing. Heat it in tap hot water and hold it straight until it cools, then tape to a a stiff wire. Maybe an unbent wire coat hanger, the you could use the hook to hang it to dry.

It you cut of the narrow tip of a long pipette style dropper and squeeze the bulb before putting it in the water, so you get small things by releasing the squeezed bulb. I think a turkey baster would work too.

I'll do some googling and see what I find now that I understand how it is used.

Note: When I want to syphon my boat. I fill the syphon tube with lake water, the cover both ends with my thumbs. I slowly lower one into the water in the boat, and the other a little lower and release my thumbs. very fast easy way to start a syphon. You can fill a hose at the sink, cover ends and put one in a fish tank and the other in the bucket and uncover the ends. Never need to suck on a syphon hose and getting a mouth full of yucky water again. 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:21 PM, Pepere said:

No. It was a plastic tube with an air chamber at the end and a nozzle.

you held your finger over the tube and submerged the air chamber over a bit of detritus you wanted to remove and lifted your finger off.

the air would rush out and the water would rush in and take the bit in with it.

perfect for a touch up that didn't need a full gravel vac.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:41 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Oh, any long clear plastic tube you could seal with you finger or thumb should work.

Maybe a chunk of syphon hose taped to something stiff. Your finger would hold the air in the tube while you place it over the detritus, when you release your finger,the air would rush out and the water and whatever would rush in. Then replace your finger to seal the tube and lift it out of the tank. Hardware stores sell all sizes of flexible plastic tubing. Heat it in tap hot water and hold it straight until it cools, then tape to a a stiff wire. Maybe an unbent wire coat hanger, the you could use the hook to hang it to dry.

It you cut of the narrow tip of a long pipette style dropper and squeeze the bulb before putting it in the water, so you get small things by releasing the squeezed bulb. I think a turkey baster would work too.

I'll do some googling and see what I find now that I understand how it is used.

Note: When I want to syphon my boat. I fill the syphon tube with lake water, the cover both ends with my thumbs. I slowly lower one into the water in the boat, and the other a little lower and release my thumbs. very fast easy way to start a syphon. You can fill a hose at the sink, cover ends and put one in a fish tank and the other in the bucket and uncover the ends. Never need to suck on a syphon hose and getting a mouth full of yucky water again. 

I might try that! Thanks!

On 10/20/2022 at 10:09 AM, KittenFishMom said:

I would love to see air pumps with build in check valves.

Aqueon's have this. A few do.  Not all.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, Pepere said:

No. It was a plastic tube with an air chamber at the end and a nozzle.

you held your finger over the tube and submerged the air chamber over a bit of detritus you wanted to remove and lifted your finger off.

the air would rush out and the water would rush in and take the bit in with it.

perfect for a touch up that didn't need a full gravel vac.

This is probably close to what you're wanting, pinch the hose and control the suction with the air / baster.