Scarlet badis stocking

GregJ23

I am redoing my 15 gallon aquarium and was thinking of putting a small group of scarlet badis in the tank. I have kept single scarlet badis before, but never more than one at a time. Would a small group (3-4 fish) work in a 15 gallon tank with enough cover and line of site breaks? I've heard they can get a little territorial with each other.

I have 8 in a 20 long. They spend most of their time on the bottom. Mine will only eat live food and pick it out of the substrate off the plants. I would say 4 are fine make sure each has some floor space in separate areas they can claim. 
Mine get Feisty with one another but have not injured each other. 
here is a feisty day video. Don’t let the title deter you it was meant as humorous. 
Im also including a picture of their tank so you can see. 

F3B8E9C6-BC07-4560-99AA-35C58617E8B7.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail

On 10/20/2022 at 1:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have 8 in a 20 long. They spend most of their time on the bottom. Mine will only eat live food and pick it out of the substrate off the plants. I would say 4 are fine make sure each has some floor space in separate areas they can claim. 
here is a feisty day video. Don’t let the title deter you it was meant as humorous. 

Can I move into their tank??🥺😂

On 10/20/2022 at 4:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

Thanks for the info! Also, do you have a female scarlet badis in that tank? Or are the more silvery ones sub-dominant males?

On 10/21/2022 at 12:31 AM, GregJ23 said:

Thanks for the info! Also, do you have a female scarlet badis in that tank? Or are the more silvery ones sub-dominant males?

This is up for debate bits covered in the last few entries in the scarlet badis journal. I have 3 that have red. One almost not noticeable the other two I swore wore boys and another forum member guessed them boys because they had a fair amount of red. 
mall three developed the dark side spots and I was fortunate to witness the hugging roll of breeding with 2 dominant males and two of what I thought were males. 
This is the first group of SB I’m dealing with so I am by no means an expert. @Torrey posted s link in the journal there are many more fish species that sex change based on need than we know. At one point in one of my older CPD breeding groups I had no males left. My largest female I watched over a few weeks switch to males I then seen her/him breed females and I found fry in the tank. 
My understanding was SB females have no red and dark side spots. I now have red SB with dark side spots that mate with dominant males. My dominant males have no side spots. I try to note anything I see in here  

I do have to admit, they are very cute!

On 10/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

This is up for debate bits covered in the last few entries in the scarlet badis journal. I have 3 that have red. One almost not noticeable the other two I swore wore boys and another forum member guessed them boys because they had a fair amount of red. 
mall three developed the dark side spots and I was fortunate to witness the hugging roll of breeding with 2 dominant males and two of what I thought were males. 
This is the first group of SB I’m dealing with so I am by no means an expert. @Torrey posted s link in the journal there are many more fish species that sex change based on need than we know. At one point in one of my older CPD breeding groups I had no males left. My largest female I watched over a few weeks switch to males I then seen her/him breed females and I found fry in the tank. 
My understanding was SB females have no red and dark side spots. I now have red SB with dark side spots that mate with dominant males. My dominant males have no side spots. I try to note anything I see in here