Duckweed

I’ve had this same debacle. I haven’t found a good way. I’ve manually removed all the Red Root Floaters and painstakingly tried to remove the duckweed, but haven’t been able to eliminate it. I’m just stuck with my early decision to welcome duckweed…. I can keep it tame, but can’t eliminate it 

• Like 1

I don’t have duckweed, but purposely cultivate giant duckweed because it is a mutant nitrate remover, and is easily scooped out with a net or by hand, and my hens love eating it. Maybe the giant duck will outcompete the tiny duck? Just an idea, not proven. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:30 PM, B7gwap said:

I don’t have duckweed, but purposely cultivate giant duckweed because it is a mutant nitrate remover, and is easily scooped out with a net or by hand, and my hens love eating it. Maybe the giant duck will outcompete the tiny duck? Just an idea, not proven. 

Actually, I could feed it to my hens too… thanks!

• Like 2

My omnivores handle the Duckweed problem for me, but they would probably eat the Red Root Floaters.  I would increase surface agitation, remove and thoroughly rinse the RR Floaters, and try the @kevincanada plastic mesh idea as a fence/skimmer.  

I've never tried it but it occurs to me that if you have a lot of DW you might remove it the same way your grandmother removed grease from the surface of soup:  With a paper towel floated on the surface.

Good luck.

• Like 1

here's my idea...

I recently got myself one of the ACO nets. I ended up using it right away and fell in love. I discovered an interesting 2nd use for it however. It's is AMAZING at scooping out duckweed!  Now the red root floaters will come with it but I also have an idea there. If you dunk the red root floater under water and shake it a little, the duckweed comes off of them. That's what I did with my water lettuce. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Love 1