Duckweed

I don’t have duckweed, but purposely cultivate giant duckweed because it is a mutant nitrate remover, and is easily scooped out with a net or by hand, and my hens love eating it. Maybe the giant duck will outcompete the tiny duck? Just an idea, not proven. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:30 PM, B7gwap said:

I don’t have duckweed, but purposely cultivate giant duckweed because it is a mutant nitrate remover, and is easily scooped out with a net or by hand, and my hens love eating it. Maybe the giant duck will outcompete the tiny duck? Just an idea, not proven. 

Actually, I could feed it to my hens too… thanks!

• Like 2

My omnivores handle the Duckweed problem for me, but they would probably eat the Red Root Floaters.  I would increase surface agitation, remove and thoroughly rinse the RR Floaters, and try the @kevincanada plastic mesh idea as a fence/skimmer.  

I've never tried it but it occurs to me that if you have a lot of DW you might remove it the same way your grandmother removed grease from the surface of soup:  With a paper towel floated on the surface.

Good luck.

• Like 1

here's my idea...

I recently got myself one of the ACO nets. I ended up using it right away and fell in love. I discovered an interesting 2nd use for it however. It's is AMAZING at scooping out duckweed!  Now the red root floaters will come with it but I also have an idea there. If you dunk the red root floater under water and shake it a little, the duckweed comes off of them. That's what I did with my water lettuce. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Love 1