1 Perlscale goldfish in fuval 15

Zzsharks

On 10/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, Zzsharks said:

Hi- I am going to try some coldwater fish this year.Do you think I could have a fulval flex 15 gallon tank with 1 perlscale goldfish. I could add a spong filter or a hang on the back filter as well.

I would have an air stone as well

I’m told the absolute minimum is a 20 gal, but a 15 should be fine as long as you can upsize it when it starts growing.

I would absolutely have a hang on back filter for a goldfish in a 15 gallon. Sponge filters work great for bacterial filtration but HOBs are better for actually removing crud from the tank, in my experience. I would use filter floss in the HOB as goldfish are so messy. And he or she will need a larger tank before long. Goldies need room to swim.

Edited by PineSong

Yes, what I like about having more than one kind of filter with goldfish is that the sponge filter can hold a lot of bacteria that helps with the nitrogen cycle, and the hang on back can be filled with floss that is good at holding onto all of the muck that will be in the water.It’s easy to replace half the floss every week or 10 days or however often it accumulates to a point where it is full of poop. I usually replaced half the floss at a time, so I wasn’t eliminating too much beneficial bacteria at once.

Pearl scales can get to 8in it can work in the in the short term I would look to upgrade to at least a 29 or bigger goldfish are very messy fish and produce a lot of waste I use fluval 307 external canister filter and a ziss 300f bubble filter for my 12 in comet goldfish hob and sponge filter would be a good combination   

Edited by Colu

On 10/16/2022 at 3:22 AM, Colu said:

Pearl scale gold's can get to 8in it can work in the in the short term I would look to upgrade to at least a 29 or bigger goldfish are very messy fish and produce a lot of waste I use fluval 307 external canister filter and a ziss 300f bubble filter for my 12 in comet goldfish hob and sponge filter would be a good combination   

Also make sure that you do some regular water changes as it grows and produces more waste.