Zigtons Wizard

Hi friends, I am just a friendly 73 year old Wizard from Upstate NY.  As a "Wizard" who doesn't know much about anything, I am amazed at the changes in this hobby in the last 40 to 50 years.  At times, in the last 6 months, I have seriously wondered have "I made a mistake."  There is so much to learn, and perhaps more importantly "unlearn." Just want my fish to be healthy & happy. So, here goes everything.  BTW, I started with a 55 gallon set up, my Goldfish are growing up to fast &;too big.  After I move, they'll be upgraded into a 125 gallon.  The remainder mixed "livebearers" will ultimately make it into a 90 gallon tank, love my guppies, mollies,swordtails, platys.  How the heck did I accumulate so many in such a short time.  This Wizard is a maniac lol.  Just wanted to say HI, well you guys sorta asked for it, yes? lol.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:17 PM, Zigtons Wizard said:

Hi friends, I am just a friendly 73 year old Wizard from Upstate NY.  As a "Wizard" who doesn't know much about anything, I am amazed at the changes in this hobby in the last 40 to 50 years.  At times, in the last 6 months, I have seriously wondered have "I made a mistake."  There is so much to learn, and perhaps more importantly "unlearn." Just want my fish to be healthy & happy. So, here goes everything.  BTW, I started with a 55 gallon set up, my Goldfish are growing up to fast &;too big.  After I move, they'll be upgraded into a 125 gallon.  The remainder mixed "livebearers" will ultimately make it into a 90 gallon tank, love my guppies, mollies,swordtails, platys.  How the heck did I accumulate so many in such a short time.  This Wizard is a maniac lol.  Just wanted to say HI, well you guys sorta asked for it, yes? lol.

Welcome to the forum!!

Its nice to meet someone who has more experience than me (anything over 3 years!) 

• Love 1

Welcome to the community. I look forward to reading about your tank upgrades! The hobby had changed a lot. Especially over the last 25 years here in the US. I feel that it's become a much more rewarding hobby. The ways we've adopted live plants and natural decor being my favorite aspect of the hobby these days.

Hope you share photos of your fishkeeping adventures!

Welcome! This is a really fun place to learn and share!

On 10/15/2022 at 8:17 AM, Zigtons Wizard said:

• 4 weeks later...

I need help cycling a new 125 gallon tank.  Do I really put REAL ammonia in my tank to get it going?  When I transfer all my babies, do I need to bring some of their current tank water with them???

Under the gun here, have to move in less than 2 1/2 weeks, major construction.  I need to get my 125 up and cycled if possible.  

My friends Goldfish, guppies, Mollies, platys, angel fish, dwarf gourami, 2 dwarf, PLECOS & 1 PLECO about 6 to 8" long.....  They are currently in a 55 gallon (most) and either 29 or maybe 39 gallon tanks.  I wish to put all.my "friends" in 1,,125 gallon tank for about 6 months.  Oh yes, the tanks are multi aerated with a Sunkun (?) Canister filters and 2 aqua something or another in the 55 tank.  It's heavily planted.  The 29 has most of the smaller fish, Oops forgot the Betta.v The filter is a Marine World 400 (9). All filters have sponges on intake pipes, charcoal (fresh), ceramic balls (?), multiple filter pads.  So, that's that. When we move back I want to use the 125 for the Goldfish and then the larger Plecos.  Then I want all my smaller friends in a 90 gallon tank.  So, I haven't a clue how to begin???

2nd.  If you do successfully "cycle" a tank, doesn't frequent water changes (every 3 weeks) change this cycling thing???

Thank you all and Good luck offering me suggestions.  I tell you at times this hobby is not for the fish, but rather, "for the birds" EEK.

Edited by Zigtons Wizard
I forgot to ask about H2O if needed from old to new tank.

In my opinion the easiest way to cycle your new tank will be to take half your filter media from your established tank and put it into the new tanks filter. There shouldn’t be any need to transfer the tanks water over but taking some of the substrate might help the bacterial colonies. If you do this you’ll be ready to transfer the fish in no time.

The best method to me would be to add some fish every week over time. Eg Week 1 add guppies, week 2 add gourami etc etc. This will give the filter time to build up enough bacteria to support the final stocking level.

Throughout the swap keep an eye on your parameters with test strips and treat it as an established tank. Just water change as and when you need. Nothing extra just because it’s new.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/water-changes

On the water changes question, traditional water changes shouldn’t affect the cycle once a tank is seasoned. The bacteria that breaks down ammonia would be all over the tank and filter so as long as you use dechlorinator you shouldn’t loose your cycle.

-Adam

• 2 weeks later...