Fancy goldfish

Kingfish

I am not new to the hobby I am just new to fancy goldfish.Right now I have a 40 gallon with a black moor, pearl scale, and Oranda . I have easy planters with Java fern and Anubias  barteri. And two mystery snails. With some duckweed for their diet . I also feed omega goldfish flakes and rapashy super gold. I do plan on transferring them to a 75 gallon. If anyone has tips or ideas please let me know . I’d appreciate any help. Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 6:28 AM, Kingfish said:

I am not new to the hobby I am just new to fancy goldfish.Right now I have a 40 gallon with a black moor, pearl scale, and Oranda . I have easy planters with Java fern and Anubias  barteri. And two mystery snails. With some duckweed for their diet . I also feed omega goldfish flakes and rapashy super gold. I do plan on transferring them to a 75 gallon. If anyone has tips or ideas please let me know . I’d appreciate any help. Hope everyone is doing well!

I don’t know much about goldfish, but welcome to the forum!

Sounds like everything is going well!

Biggest thing I've found with fancies (other than water quality) is their diet. Since they're short-bodied fish, they tend to have constipation issues and swim bladder issues far more common than other "normal" fish. Sounds like you're feeding a good diet now, but I might supplement with some blanched veggies once a week or every two weeks, and add in a day of fasting weekly.

Blanched peas were always popular with mine, although if you have the time to crunch them into bite-sized pieces, green beans and carrots work well too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Easy to second this advice.

Veggies are good.  My last tank really went to town on broccoli, my new guys (just set up two months ago) ignore it.  Repashy is good, and a recent addition to what I feed.  I also do not feed flakes preferring sinking pellets.  Peas once a week is part of my regimen, as well as sporadic fasting.  (I'm usually away every other weekend and the fish go food free for the weekend.)

As for "crunching the veggies," a parsley grater is my tool of choice.

My fancies get a rotation of Rapashy, sinking pellets, bloodworms and Bug Bites. Also broccoli, peas, or green beans several times a week. They are fed 3-4 SMALL meals each day. To prevent swim bladder/constipation issues, keeping fancies at warmer temps 75-78F helps digestion motility. Of course top quality water conditions and plenty of aeration are a must. Best of luck!!

My fancy goldfish seem to get sick more than any other fish (finrot), so I would recommend having medications on hand.

Other than that, no real tips. They are chill, cute fish and least picky eaters I've kept. They will eat anything I put in the tank, even if it doesn't fit in their mouths.