Using RO/DI Water with African Cichlids

Spencer Heaton

Hi Everyone,

So the tap water at my new home is terrible in so many ways. The parameters change it seems almost daily which has caused huge issues for my fish and weekly water changes on 13 tanks. So I decided to go the RO/DI route and remineralize to be able to stabilize my parameters. All my tanks currently are planted so I plan to use Seachem equilibrium,  Seachem Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer with Seachem Trace products to get the right mix for those tanks.

I am also looking to setup a 110gal & a 40Gal Breeder tank for African Cichlids (Mbuna and Peacocks) and I am wonder what I will need to add to RO/DI water to get it to the right PH/KH/mineral mix for these fish.

For example, will I be able to use Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt, Malawi Buffer and Cichlid Trace or will I still need to use equilibrium first? I might also try to use some hardy, native plants like Bolbitus, Anubius, etc (depending on their tolerance to the water parameters I will end up with) to help with Nitrates and reduce the need for larger water changes.

Anyway, just looking for some advice and to find out if anyone has done this before and what they did to provide the best water parameters for these fish using RO/DI.

thanks,

Spencer   

What I would do is take a five galloon bucket of RO/DI water and add in the appropriate amount of cichlid salt of choice, either Seachem or Fritz both make good ones and let circulate fore a bit then test the water and see how it tests. If all the numbers come out good, then do it that way, if they're not quite right, add some equilibrium and see what happens. I have a feeling all you will need is the cichlid salts. 

On 10/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

What I would do is take a five galloon bucket of RO/DI water and add in the appropriate amount of cichlid salt of choice, either Seachem or Fritz both make good ones and let circulate fore a bit then test the water and see how it tests. If all the numbers come out good, then do it that way, if they're not quite right, add some equilibrium and see what happens. I have a feeling all you will need is the cichlid salts. 

Thanks Andy's Fish Den - are there any specific parameters (besides PH) I should be measuring for or aiming for??

I use RODI for my shell dweller African cichlids. All I do is use equilibrium and alkaline buffer to get the parameters I want. I imagine you have gh and kh test kits as those would be really important to get these numbers right, the dosing charts aren't always spot on and the most useful for getting where you want. I would "practice" making water with the right parameters a few times so you've got a solid system that will keep water consistent through water changes. 

On 10/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, Gannon said:

I use RODI for my shell dweller African cichlids. All I do is use equilibrium and alkaline buffer to get the parameters I want. I imagine you have gh and kh test kits as those would be really important to get these numbers right, the dosing charts aren't always spot on and the most useful for getting where you want. I would "practice" making water with the right parameters a few times so you've got a solid system that will keep water consistent through water changes. 

Thanks Gannon - yes have both GH and KH drop test kits so we are good to go there. For sure will need to practice in 5 gallon buckets to get the formula just right!!!

• Like 1