How do I clean algae off a banana plant

Thanks! I'm going to have to try manual removal. Unfortunately, I have a female betta who goes after every other thing in that tank except for a Nerite snail who seems uninterested. I used to have plenty of "pest" snails to deal with stuff like this, and one by one by one she took them all out.

• Like 1

For manual removal I usually strategically clip leaves or remove the plant from the tank and spray/dip the affected area in peroxide then replant.  There are some who advocate for applying it in tank, but im a worry wort so never went that route.  As for live stock options you have your usual suspects for hair algea removal and Ill also add the honey gourami who are absolutely destroying my hair/black beard algea.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:47 AM, JoeQ said:

For manual removal I usually strategically clip leaves or remove the plant from the tank and spray/dip the affected area in peroxide then replant.  There are some who advocate for applying it in tank, but im a worry wort so never went that route.  As for live stock options you have your usual suspects for hair algea removal and Ill also add the honey gourami who are absolutely destroying my hair/black beard algea.

Can you tell me more about how you use peroxide? I would prefer to spray, but then do I just rinse it off? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before I rinse it off?

On 10/5/2022 at 7:52 AM, John Collins said:

Can you tell me more about how you use peroxide? I would prefer to spray, but then do I just rinse it off? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before I rinse it off?

I'm a stem guy so I usually clip off the affected area, remove the clipping from the tank. Then spray it with peroxide, roll it around making sure to coat the hair algea. Then replant stem top in the tank. I don't let it sit for long before replanting, maybe a minute or two since long soaks seem to start breaking down healthy plant matter.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1