Male and Female Betta in a 20 Gallon.

giantlumberjack

Hello, so a few weeks ago I bought a female Betta for my 20 gallon, but then a week after my mother wanted to get me a surprise and she got me a really beautiful Male Betta. Obviously I could not refuse such a nice gift from my mother, but the problem now is, can I put them in the same tank with little drawbacks? I have a 10 Gallon shrimp Tank that I could put one in if it is ever a problem, the only thing is I've heard that you can have a better live happily in a  shrimp but one day  just develop a taste for said shrimp and end up eating them all...

Give me a bit and I will get you some pictures of both tanks and Betta's if you guys want to see them.

Edited by giantlumberjack
  • Like 1

They are Blue cherry shrimps. Mmm so should I set up a another new aquarium for one of the m the,? The Female looks young, small and did not develop her colors yet. Don't know if that can help with something.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:29 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What kind of shrimp are they @giantlumberjack? Amanos are relatively safe I have found, whereas cherry shrimp need a thick ‘lawn’ of micro sword to keep them alive!

On 10/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, giantlumberjack said:

They are Blue cherry shrimps. Mmm so should I set up a another new aquarium for one of the m the,? The Female looks young, small and did not develop her colors yet. Don't know if that can help with something.

A screen is best ( unless you want to set up another aquarium which I fully understand 🙃)

I kept my female betta with shrimp she wasn't really fussed about them but I made sure the tank was full of shrimp hiding places. 

You probably won't see your shrimp as much of there is a fish in the tank though.

I kept two Betta in a divided tank for awhile  (made the divider out of plastic canvas).  In the end I moved them into separate tanks though as one seemed stressed (constant glass surfing) possibly because it could see/smell the other. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I kept my female betta with shrimp she wasn't really fussed about them but I made sure the tank was full of shrimp hiding places. 

You probably won't see your shrimp as much of there is a fish in the tank though.

I kept two Betta in a divided tank for awhile  (made the divider out of plastic canvas).  In the end I moved them into separate tanks though as one seemed stressed (constant glass surfing) possibly because it could see/smell the other. 

Ok, that's good to know, wanted to not have to remake another aquarium but if its better this way then I guess I will have no choice. By the way who would be better in the 20 Gallon? The male or female? I think Males have territories so I think it would be better to keep him in the big one but what do you guys think?

On 10/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Males tend to defend small territories in the wild, and mine was quite content downsizing from a 35 gal. Females also tend to be less aggressive, and therefore do better in community tanks.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Alright I will put thee male in the 7 Gal. Thank you all for the help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1