Search for Indian Mudskippers

Dan S

So recently, I've started my hunt for the elusive Indian Mudskipper. I've signed up for all the websites I could find online and plan on talking to my local fish store about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if the store can't order other than wait patiently? Also, any websites that have worked or just general ways to coax stores to order some are also very helpful. Thanks in advance!

On 9/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, Dan S said:

So recently, I've started my hunt for the elusive Indian Mudskipper. I've signed up for all the websites I could find online and plan on talking to my local fish store about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if the store can't order other than wait patiently? Also, any websites that have worked or just general ways to coax stores to order some are also very helpful. Thanks in advance!

If your store does not have any most likely it won't be in stock for a while. I searched through a couple websites and it appears that they are all sold out. The best option you could do is just wait it out and as soon as they get in stock buy it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:12 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I'm told that India is having problems shipping -with the fuel situation these days- maybe try a big wholesaler by E-Mailing them and asking if their farms in china etc. have any?

I've never thought of contacting wholesalers directly! I'll search online to see if I can find any since mudskippers ship decently well. If you or anyone else knows any wholesaler, please let me know so I can try to contact them as well. Thanks again for the help!

• 4 weeks later...

Status update: Many online stores (as expected) have informed me that it would be a while till they can get Mudskippers or have added me to their wait-list. 

No matter the case, I contacted my local fish store, North Dallas Aquatics, and they said they have no only seen Indian Mudskippers in previous times but also ordered them for other customers. I asked them to put me on their waitlist and waited.

Just yesterday, they asked if I'm still interested and how many I would like. I told them 2 and they said they will place the order soon. Their main policy is that you must pick up the same day it arrives at their store which isn't bad. 

If you live in the around the Dallas area, I would recommend checking North Dallas Aquatics as they have a great selection of freshwater, saltwater, and hardware. And, if you ask really nicely, they maybe able to keep an eye out for you. Hope this may help someone out there.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:18 PM, Dan S said:

Status update: Many online stores (as expected) have informed me that it would be a while till they can get Mudskippers or have added me to their wait-list. 

No matter the case, I contacted my local fish store, North Dallas Aquatics, and they said they have no only seen Indian Mudskippers in previous times but also ordered them for other customers. I asked them to put me on their waitlist and waited.

Just yesterday, they asked if I'm still interested and how many I would like. I told them 2 and they said they will place the order soon. Their main policy is that you must pick up the same day it arrives at their store which isn't bad. 

If you live in the around the Dallas area, I would recommend checking North Dallas Aquatics as they have a great selection of freshwater, saltwater, and hardware. And, if you ask really nicely, they maybe able to keep an eye out for you. Hope this may help someone out there.

Any pics of the tank going?

On 10/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Any pics of the tank going?

I do! I planned to make a floating island so in the future,  I can put something in the ten gallons of water. This is an older picture, the main change is that I replaced the big rocks with sand. I'll get more pictures when I'm home.

IMG_20221016_111548.jpg

On 10/25/2022 at 5:32 PM, Dan S said:

I do! I planned to make a floating island so in the future,  I can put something in the ten gallons of water. This is an older picture, the main change is that I replaced the big rocks with sand. I'll get more pictures when I'm home.

IMG_20221016_111548.jpg

How would you make a floating island?? It would be quite fun if you could grow Anubias on it (idealistic youngster ALERT 🚨 )

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:38 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

How would you make a floating island?? It would be quite fun if you could grow Anubias on it (idealistic youngster ALERT 🚨 )

I watched Zenzo a lot so I saw him use a styrofoam board and spray expanding foam after shaping the board to the size you want. Then, use a knife and cut it to a shape you like, top it off with sand and rocks, and you're good to go! I used white foam then sprayed it with black paint and let it cure over 24 hours. I'll see if I can find the actual video so you can follow along. 

The Anubias could be interesting but I plan on surrounding the island with Java moss around the edges instead.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:18 AM, Dan S said:

Just FYI, @Dan S, unless there’s a new store I’ve never heard of (which is quite possible) it’s Dallas North Aquarium for anybody looking.  They’re actually located in Carrollton now but started in north Dallas back in 1982 (had to look up the date).  Great store, wish I was closer.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, Odd Duck said:

Just FYI, @Dan S, unless there’s a new store I’ve never heard of (which is quite possible) it’s Dallas North Aquarium for anybody looking.  They’re actually located in Carrollton now but started in north Dallas back in 1982 (had to look up the date).  Great store, wish I was closer.

Oops, I did butcher the name! You got everything right, thanks for fixing that!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:05 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

That’s such a cool paludarium! Any thoughts on adding land plants, like a small Anubia etc?

I have done a bit of research into it but most land plants (minus mangroves) will immediately die to saltwater. The tank is currently still freshwater as I'm letting the plants grow at least a bit so they are more likely to survive the gradual salt adding later.

Zenzo has tried Java fern, moss, and Anubis before in his brackish paledarium but all has died except for the fern.