Plants for a betta tank/ ecosystem

JessicaK

We started a five-gallon aquarium for our 10-year-old daughter.  We will be moving a betta into it once it is ready.  We started the aquarium because she is interested in eco-systems...and because nothing much grows outside in the Dakotas in the winter.  The soon-to-be betta tank is taking off and proving to be a great nature-study opportunity as plants begin to grow.  My concern is that the betta will deffinately want more cover than this tank currently has (or will have in the next month).  I threw out all of my fake plants after our last betta tore his tail on them.  I could just order large, full plants to fill up the back of the aquarium.  However, we want to leave room for growth and discovery.  So, any ideas on how we can balance this out?  How can I give the betta a little more coverage, while still allowing for growth, change, and progress in the tank over the long winter.  Thank you for any suggestions!

Front and Back of the aquarium that needs more.

5G 09-25-22.jpg

5G 09-25-22 Back.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 12:23 AM, Scapexghost said:

Have big plants in the back and small plants in the front

Thank you.  Do you have any specific suggestions?  I had hoped that the water sprite would have helped fill up the back, but most of it was damaged in shipping.  Most of it is floating at the top.  However, the root ball is in good condition and is quickly regrowing!

On 9/26/2022 at 1:24 AM, JessicaK said:

Front and Back of the aquarium that needs more.

5G 09-25-22.jpg

5G 09-25-22 Back.jpg

Thank you.  Do you have any specific suggestions?  I had hoped that the water sprite would have helped fill up the back, but most of it was damaged in shipping.  Most of it is floating at the top.  However, the root ball is in good condition and is quickly regrowing!

Its like cory says, when you buy plants, you are paying for the roots. For plants, it depends on the lighting. What kind of light do you have?

I guy the 2.5g version of this tank. The filter is pretty finicky. I ended up getting a cheap little sponge filter and pump and it's worked great. It will give more aeration and biological filtration. Plus it won't have the carbon which (if I remember right) can pull nutrients from the water.

The lights on mine are just two little LEDs if yours is the same you'll probably want to stick to small, low light plants like Anubias nana, some types of cryptocoryne, and mosses.

You could also do cherry shrimp if you want to make it more of an ecosystem but that all depends on your Betta's personality. He may ignore them or he may harass them non-stop.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:42 AM, Scapexghost said:

Its like cory says, when you buy plants, you are paying for the roots. For plants, it depends on the lighting. What kind of light do you have?

The lighting is very minimal.  It is too much for the betta, but it's too low for most plants.  However, the Anubias Nana, Anubias Petite, Banana plant, Red Dwarf Lily, and planted Water Sprite are all growing well.

I need to both fill out the back and add some in the foreground.  Any suggestions on what to do in the foreground?

Personally I think it looks great, as for coverage you could add a floating or suction cup Betta cave. The plants you added, will likely grow to satisfactory levels and give your 10yo and your fish enough viewing space and coverage. These tanks can be tough because they are low light- the plants you chose should do well, the only thing I would eventually be concerned with is the water sprite blocking light but that's easily mitigated. 

Adding more plants may just block out light for the plants you do have.